Part 3: The Princess - Chapter 2

The giant patchwork man led him through the town, through the castle gates, through the castle itself and straight into the throne room. His status afforded him at least that much where others would have to wait to be announced. That her head servant is the one leading him through made everything smoother and no one questioned or harassed them.

He found her sitting on the throne holding council with some of her advisors. Everyone stared at him as he entered and headed straight to the throne. He felt severely underdressed with his casual travelling clothes against everyone else's more formal regalia but his father outranked everyone so he pretended to not care.

He focused on her and ignored everyone else as her head servant escorted him to her. They haven't seen each other in a long time, not even catching a glimpse of each other's shadow, but he had always heard of her and he wondered if she had been hearing news of him too.

She still looks more or less the same as he remembered and carried herself in the same way. The same grace, the same figure, the same posture as she waited for him made his heart beat faster and made him remember all the moments they spent together, making his memories of the past overlap with what he was seeing in the present. No, heart. Stop. Remember the mission. I can't falter now.

She calmly watched him as he approached and regarded him coolly in her throne. His heart twinged at the lack of reaction and his mind frantically asked questions. Does she remember me? Has she already forgotten how I look? Did I change that much since we last saw each other? Do I look weird? Maybe I look too weird. I mean, I am a bit out of place with my clothes here. Does she even care about that? She probably knows who I am, right?

He stopped right before the steps that would take him to her. He could see her clearly now and a few more steps would allow him to touch her again. He had always been the slowest to age amongst his peers but she looked a little older right now than she usually did. He always does catch up to her and everyone else eventually but it was only a short time before she and the others age up again. His immaturity and his insecurity resulting from having been constantly mocked by others caused friction in their relationship but she had always stayed by his side, up until she didn't anymore.

Her patchwork servant went to her side and whispered to her ear. She nodded and looked at the young god, her face betraying no emotions, waiting for him to speak first. His heart continued to pound and scream at him. What should I say? I should say something, right? "Umm... Hi!" he managed to say. He stopped himself from wincing at his awkward greeting as he felt every eye in the room on him and maintained a casual and relaxed façade. 'Hi'? Really? After not seeing her for so long, all you can say is 'Hi!'? Say something else. "I came here to see you." No, idiot. Say something less obvious. "And, uhh, talk to you." What's wrong with you, self?

She silently stood up and slowly went down the steps towards him, his heart jumping excitedly and nervously at the way she looked. Oh, no. She's coming this way. What should I do? Her face remained still, making it difficult to gauge what she would do. Her dress made her look like she was floating and the way she moved made her look like she was gliding, just like her symbol. He remembered spontaneously buying a similar dress in the past after seeing it in a shop because it reminded him of her symbol. He remembered her delighted laugh when he gave it to her, his words stumbling over one another as he explained the reason for doing so. He remembered that almost every dress she wore afterwards always had the same style as the one he gave her. She stopped right in front of him, making his heart and mind try harder to escape his body. He could sense everyone looking at both of them and waiting for her to signal how to react. She's here. She's too close. Should I say something? Should I--

Her slap made a resounding echo throughout the whole chamber. The shock made him stagger backwards and stopped his heart and mind from racing. "Everyone, leave," she told the room.