Griffon's Book

A/N this is a chapter from Griffon's book that he is writing for class.

Millie was five when she caught a rouge ball at her fathers Saturday cricket game. They had all cheered and acted as if she had solved the puzzle of cancer. Apparently it was a big deal to catch a rouge ball. All Millie knew was that her hand hurt a lot and that it would probably bruise. But Millie learnt something more important than how to catch that day. She learnt that rouge balls are sometimes the best.

When she was seven she met Robbie. Millie thought that Robbie was a bit of a rouge ball. He was very odd. He wore a hat everyday and it was always a new one Millie had never seen him wear the same hat twice. Except for when he wore all of his hats on his 8th birthday.

“It's my birthday. I can wear as many hats as I want.”

“Okay.”

“No one can stop me Millie.”

“I know.”

“Good.”

He even wore them when they went to school that day.

By the time Millie was ten she was half certain she was in love with Robbie. He gave her hugs all the time and told her she was the prettiest girl, besides his mum. Millie always blushed when Robbie talked about her. It was a nice feeling.

Millie was twelve when her dad died. He was hit by a truck. He died instantly. Millie spent two weeks hiding in her room, crying. She didn't even go to see Robbie and she didn't let him in her room.

This was when the lostness started to overwhelm Millie. Her dad had been her grounding point and now he was gone. It seemed that not even Robbie could help her find her way back.

When Millie was thirteen her mum was admitted to a mental hospital. She had tried to kill herself. Millie now lived with her Aunt. Millie's lostness started to get worse.

When she was thirteen and a half, Robbie left. He didn't move or run away. He just left. He didn't speak to her. He didn't even look at her any more. Something had snapped their friendship in two. And Millie had no idea what that thing was.

Now Millie was completely lost. She had no one left. Her Aunt was never home. And Millie was always at home. Millie now just sat in her room and stared at walls. At night he lit three candles, for the three people she had lost. Sometimes she would try to draw them, but they never turned out right.

Millie was stuck in the same old routine. Wake up, go to school, come home, do homework, eat, stare, light candles, repeat.

It was a sad, sad cycle with no end in view.

The fire changed everything.