Prologue

{Hinata House - Hinata City, Japan...8 years earlier - 1988}

A little boy watched as the three men - an older balding man with a beard, a blonde American, and a Japanese man - bid their goodbyes to the owner of the Hinata House, Hinata Urashima, and her daughter Haruka. The two younger men were both in their early twenties, while his Aunt Haruka was a teenager. The little boy had grown especially attached to the Japanese man in the white karate dogi and matching headband.

"Do you have to go?" the little boy asked shyly.

The Japanese man crouched down. "I have to go. I have to train to become the strongest fighter in the world." He noticed the frown on the boy's face. "I'll tell you what, let's make a promise. If you ever get into trouble, or if you need help, you find me, okay?"

The boy nodded. "Okay." He then raised his small hand. "Promise?"

The taller man clasped his hand into the boy. "I promise." He then took his worn duffel bag and slung it over his shoulder. "See you around, Keitaro."

{On the other side of the Kanagawa Prefecture, Present Day - 1998}

"Hello? Hey, Sensei, I think he's coming to."

Keitaro Urashima found himself lying flat on his back. His jaw was sore, as well as the rest of him from landing who-knows-where. As his vision cleared, he saw that he was inside a massive training hall of some sort. There was a teenage girl around his age looking over him, waving her hand over his face, occasionally snapping her fingers.

"It's a miracle that he didn't die from taking such a fall," another female voice said.

"I've seen him before," a male voice said. "It was eight years ago. Ken, Master Gouken, and I were guests at the Hinata House."

Upon hearing those words, Keitaro was completely alert. He assumed a sitting position as the girl moved back. The training hall was huge, and he found the source of the voices. One was male and Japanese while the other was female and Chinese. The Japanese man was muscular, wearing only a tattered white karate dogi. A red headband was wrapped around his head, keeping the dark bangs out of his eyes. He was seated beside him, in the lotus position.

The Chinese woman was curvaceous, and dressed in a one-piece embroidered vest and unitard. Her long black hair was braided in buns, secured with yellow ribbons. The teenage girl was simply dressed in a V-necked shirt and a pair of track pants. A white headband was wrapped around her head.

"How do you know about the Hinata House?" Keitaro asked. He looked at the man closely. "Wait a minute. Do I know you from somewhere?"

"Last time we met, you were a little brat," the man replied. "You have grown, Keitaro."

Keitaro blinked. "Ryu-Senpai? Is that you?"

Ryu Hoshi nodded. "It's me." He gestured to the girl in the track pants. "You caused a scare in my apprentice when you landed in the courtyard of our school."

"Hey!!" the girl objected. "It's not every day that a guy comes crashing into the courtyard of the school."

"Keitaro Urashima, this is my student in martial arts and Physical Education major, Sakura Kasugano," Ryu introduced. "Sakura, this is Keitaro Urashima." He then gestured to the Chinese beauty beside him. "My wife and co-owner of this school, Chun-Li Zang. Sakura is a freshman at Tokyo University."