{act eight} - the most beautiful tragedy

⚠️ This story contains heavy manga spoilers for Tokyo Manji Revengers ⚠️
⚠️ Graphic depictions of assault, trauma, PTSD, self harm, suicide, depression, panic attacks, underage smoking, stalking, child abuse, drug abuse/addiction, and extreme violence ⚠️

⚠️ This chapter contains physical abuse and PTSD related panic attacks ⚠️

Some words will be censored (like this ▢) for a reveal at the end

Please read the warnings before you proceed, this book is not for the faint of heart.

Manjiro Sano thought he understood [Name]. They had been friends ever since Shinichiro brought [Name] home bloody and bruised with bandages all over his fragile, malnourished, frame like a stray dog.

Back then he was so small, so weak, and yet he easily beat the invincible Mikey over and over again.

Now, he was taller, more muscular, and different.

[Name] was once aggressive and closed off, but Shinichiro helped him become his own person.

He saved [Name] [Last Name].

After he died, [Name] became a worse person than he ever was before. He snapped easily, stopped attending meetings and had mysterious bruises that anyone close to him with a brain could tell the origins of. It was of the fighting club he said he'd never enter again.

And then he disappeared.

Once they met again, Manjiro was conflicted.

Manjiro thought he knew [Name], even in his distraught and closed off version. But this person was nothing like him.

He looked at Manjiro, eyeing him with so much fury like he did something unforgivable made him unable to do anything but look away in sorrow.

He tried to understand. He tried to figure out what happened in that year that [Name] was missing that made him become a completely different person.

[Name] was the same person physically, but his personality became like that of someone who has lived on and on, watching their loved ones die.

What happened to him? What happened to their friendship?

Why couldn't Manjiro reach him?

Why is it that just as he was starting to get closer, [Name] only got farther away?

"Who are you?" He spoke breathily, unable to recognize the man standing in front of Hanma, the man who was supposed to be his closest friend.

Far away.

He was always too far away for Manjiro's hands to reach.

"Are you really [Name]?"

He watched as [Name]'s eyebrows furrowed in hatred, his face angry and his eyes glowing in need of vengeance. Hanma and him had never met, yet there was very clearly a memory of something that had not yet happened in [Name]'s mind that triggered his trauma and therefore his thirst for revenge.