Chapter 8

The day Before.....

I was walking back from the copy room when I heard a few workers talking. What made me stop and eavesdrop was when one of them said Stereo kicks. I leaned up against the wall so they wouldn't see me pass by and I listened closely.

"So did they come back in?" One of the girls asked.

"Yeah, they did an acoustic recording session in the building. Their manager didn't want them to practice outside due to the crazed fans." Another girl responded with.

"I kind of feel bad for them. Not being able to go outside without getting mobbed; must be hard."

"I don't they mind the lady attention anymore, if they ever did." She said
laughing and the other one joined her.

"True. Hey, remember when one of them was dating that girl--?"

"You mean James?"

"Yeah him! Big quiff right?"

"Yeah that's the one."

"Yeah so, remember when he was with that girlfriend of his for like half a year?"

"What about her?"

"You think they might have gotten back together?"

"Hasn't it been like 12 years or something since then?"

"14." I mumbled to myself.

"Yeah."

"Nah, the news would've covered it. He's still single."

"Good!"

"Why you like him or something?"

"I've always had a soft spot for him. Maybe since the band will be here till tomorrow-"

"You're gonna try to get with him?"

"Something like that....."

"Good luck with that one." The girl scoffed. I ran away from there and saw the girl who likes James walk out. I followed her until she reached a closed door and looked both ways before entering. Then I heard her say something cheerfully as she closed the door behind her. I eased up to the open window and saw the band in there. They looked a lot older in person! She directed her words towards James and her body language showed that she was really nervous; she must be making her move. I saw him nod and smile before she turned to walk out. I tried to escape but that only made me trip and drop all my papers just as she closed the door behind her.

"Are you alright?" She asked. I looked up and saw that she was a pretty blonde with crystal blue eyes and a petite figure, something James would go for.

"Yeah, just a little clumsy." I began to gather the papers and she kindly helped me without saying a word. She gave me a soft smile once all of them were back in my arms. I thanked her and went on my way. I could hear from the end of the hall music starting to play and angelic male voices begin to sing. This girl is standing in the way of me getting my family back together. That's not stopping me though.

James's P.O.V

"So, you and that newscaster huh?" Barclay said as he scooted over and sat next to me.

"Yeah." I said while playing with my hands and a smile playing on my face.

"Nice going mate. Bout time that you find someone." Tom said from across the room.

"I didn't even go on the date yet." I said.

"Still." He added. I looked at each of my best friends, knowing what they all have; someone to grow old with. Casey is the only one in a relationship though with a baby.

"How's Betsy doing?" I asked him.

"Fine....fat but fine." He joked.

"She's expecting! She can't help being big." Barclay said.

"I was kidding you weirdo." He said throwing a paper ball that he just made at him.

"I want what you have Cas." I said to him.

"You did James, remember?" Reece said.

"Yeah but then she ended it." I said with a heavy heart. I was in love once; truly, madly, and deeply in love with someone. Then one day she called it quits for no reason. To this day I still don't know why.

"Why didn't you keep in touch?" Charlie asked.

"It hurt." I simply said.

"I know bud. I remember those sleepless nights, all the crying you did, all the songs you refused to sing...." Jake said before Reece pushed him out of his chair.

"You're an idiot." He said.

"What?" Jake said defensively. I've kept those thoughts out of my head but all at once them came back into my mind. I would pace back and forth for hours trying to figure out what made her leave.

"Anyway...." Casey said in a stern tone while looking at Jake, "it's good to see you moving on."

"Might as well." I said softly.

______________________________________________________