21

The next day, after we had all gotten ready, Gordon had brought all of us to a little area where he made us all sit down. I was sitting next to Adam, dark sunglasses shading my eyes from the Sun. It was bright and I had a raging headache. I had offered glasses to Adam but he rejected them, saying he didn't have a headache.

I leaned over and whispered to him, "I hate that you don't get hungover. I hate you."

He just bumped his shoulder into mine and smiled as he put his arm around the back of the bench.

"I've had a lot of big distractions since I've been here in LA," Gordon started, "This is a distraction." He held up a big cut out of himself with a speech bubble saying For me, it's Hendrix.

The team giggled at the cut out.

Gordon lit a match and threw it in a barrel, starting a fire, "This is a fire in a barrel." Then he shoved the cut out into the barrel, "This is a distraction, in a fire in a barrel. Any questions?"

Everyone smiled and started clapping for him, "Good job, Coach."

I followed along and looked over at Mrs. McKay, hey, her vest looks a lot like the one Luis wore to school the other day. Very suspicious, I might say.

"Alright, now that the distractions are gone, the real work begins." Gordon claps his hands together, "We've got to study our opponents, study ourselves, we have to learn from our mistakes, and learn not to repeat them. All of you have special skills, we're going to learn how to perfect them. Let's get to work."

Almost immediately, Jan moves to Luis and they leave. Probably to teach Luis how to stop for once.

After an hour or so of the rest of the team hanging around Gordon comes into the locker room, clapping his hand together to get everyone's attention away from their conversations and onto him, "Alright, let's start this practice."

I sit on the sidelines as I watch the team crawl across the ice as Gordon yells out, "That's it! Dwayne, hustle. Come on! Goldberg, move that big butt!"

I laugh at the team, making sure to catch a mental snapshot of them crawling, "Stop laughing, Wren! You can laugh when you come out here to join us!" Jesse yells at me from the ice.

"I'm good right here!" I call back, "This blanket is warmer than the ice!" I wrap my blanket tighter around my shoulders, blocking out some of the cold.

After the practice ends Gordon announces that everyone has thirty minutes before we have to hit the gym, which seems ridiculous, "Oh, come on. Give them a break."

Gordon shakes his head at me, "We've got to be a lean and mean fighting machine."

I roll my eyes at him, "You sound stupid."

He just smiles at me, "Yeah...I know."

I meet the team in the locker room, who are changing out of their gear, some of them moving to the showers, mostly Julie and Connie, so they can change into their exercise clothes.

Averman looks over at me, "Hey, you gonna join us at the gym?"

I laugh, "I'd rather stab a fork in my eye."

Averman frowns, "I wouldn't." He says softly.

"I'm being sarcastic. But nah, I don't need to exercise. I mean," I gesture at my body, "I'm already perfect."

Averman snorts at me and keeps changing as I grab my backpack that I left by Adam's locker, "So, what's your plan?" Adam asks.

"I don't know. I might just go get some food, work on homework. Maybe take a nap. We'll see how I'm feeling."