Chapter Fifteen

If I wasn't a girl—or human—I swear he would have hit me before Deryk's name had finished being spoken. Gabe looked close to forgetting that, though, like he wanted to strike out despite my limitations. I knew he never would but didn't know how far I could keep going before he would simply get up and walk away.

"I told you he wasn't gone," I continued, pushing the limits. "In fact, he helped me understand many, many things."

Gabe took a deep, calming breath, like he was fortifying himself to handle the answer to a question he thought he'd regret asking. "Like what?"

"Like maybe I would tell you if you ever told me what I want to know."

Gabe sat back in his chair and stared at me, disbelief creasing his mouth. Slowly, understanding creeped back into his eyes and his coloring returned to normal. "What is it you want to know?"

"Everything."

"That—I can't tell you everything, Alyssa," he said. "Even if I want to, which I do, I'm... it isn't allowed."

"You know, it's okay to break the rules sometimes. You don't have to be His perfect little soldier all the time."

Gabe stared at me without response.

I hadn't expected an answer, though, so it didn't matter. What he had said—that it wasn't allowed—confirmed what I already suspected. Aside from the fact that my memories had been restored on my eighteenth birthday, nothing had changed. I was some sort of a project they wanted to keep in line until they could use me for whatever reason they wouldn't disclose.

Then I would be set aside.

I had no delusions. I was somehow needed for a single purpose, and then... I didn't want to find out. My only consolation—or hope, really—was that I was the only thing that could vanquish the Darkness they'd been fighting against for so long. They wouldn't let an asset like that get away, would they?

"Has Lachesis come back yet?" I asked, trying to sound as nonchalant as possible. If he realized I figured out who I needed to speak with for answers, he would never tell me. Instead of looking at him and giving myself away, I busied myself with arranging my pillows and then my blanket.

"Lachesis will only come if she has no other choice. Being around death isn't pleasant for her."

I jerked my head up again. "Like when you, Mike, and Raffy came to protect me?"

He nodded. "There weren't enough Brothers to take care of our duties and run the school, and she didn't want to see her mother while she was visiting the Sisters in the Void. Lachesis stayed behind closed doors most of the time, for obvious reasons, but still." He shrugged. "She helped with new student intake while we were away."

I'd never thought of Fate as having a mother, though I guess we all had to come from somewhere. Angels and humans came from Him. Fate... apparently had parents. They didn't come from Chaos. I couldn't decide if that made them less creepy. The Sisters of Fate created and took lives, after all. If I didn't think that was disturbing as far as professions went, there would be something wrong with me.

"I'm tired," I told Gabe, suddenly feeling exhausted, and yawned.

"We need to talk."

"Gabe, I really am tired. You have no idea."

"Alyssa, I didn't stay just to discuss where you went, you know. We need to discuss other matters, too."

"Okay, I promise to talk to you, but right now I need to rest. You have no idea how exhausting it is to leave your body and return without having a nap in between." The ten minutes of rest I'd had because I passed out didn't count because even that was filled with dreaming. Now, remaining coherent enough to be a part of the conversation with Gabe suddenly took too much energy, and I had nothing left in reserves.