Chapter Eleven

Tyler came back ten minutes later with a shorter brown-haired boy who also had brown eyes. Were they natural? Different from when he was alive? Right now, all that mattered was that he was one of the Dark Souls that Marcus hadn't brought to be restored before I'd left, which meant that he still had something left to heal. He also had a shadow, so that was a bonus. Not that I wouldn't help him if he was lacking one, but that was a different type of assistance, and I would be completely drained.

"Aly, this is Andrew," Tyler said. He gestured towards me and smiled. "Andy, this, uh, this is Alyssa Frank."

"Hey." Andrew nodded and looked down to the floor. "When did you come back?"

"I'm just here long enough to visit Tyler," I told him firmly, hoping that would be enough to keep him quiet long enough for me to leave after I helped him—I was tired of feeling the need to swear people to secrecy, especially considering that was exactly what I was fighting against with the Brothers and Sisters. "It's nice to meet you."

I held out my hand for Andy to take notice of it but had to wait as Tyler elbowed him in his side so the boy would look up. He looked at Tyler, surprised, and Tyler nodded to me. Andrew's gaze followed. I could see the moment he realized he'd missed something light his eyes, and he hurried to grasp my hand in greeting. I mean, it was only polite, right?

I'd always held that I didn't want to help anyone against their free will, but this was different circumstances, and I was taking his eagerness to shake my hand as acquiescence to being healed. I held tight and smiled as his eyes narrowed in confusion, but he didn't try to let go.

I took that as a good sign and continued, holding tight in case Andrew decided to let go.

Tingling ascended from my toes and pooled like butterflies inside of my stomach before creeping up to my neck and down my arms to my fingers. As the energy began to release into Andrew, my sight dulled to a grainy visual, and I couldn't blink. Sweat beaded and rolled down my spine, and without a third person to counteract it, my energy began to fade.

Weakness started to set in, but still, I didn't let go. I couldn't.

"Aly?" Hailey called, her voice sounding from a distance despite the fact that she was a few feet away.

I blinked her out of sight, finally able to squeeze my eyes tight, and put everything I had into the connection with Andrew. Our surroundings, though growing lighter, never glowed golden. By Tyler and Hailey's expressions before I shut them out, I knew it was brighter and I just couldn't see it. The only difference I saw was induced by the failure of my consciousness as my energy was sapped away, every hue surrounding us starting to become dull as though my energy was what made colors burst with vibrancy.

The light faded to black, cutting out the rest of the shades, and I smiled.

Finally.

*****

As soon as I opened my eyes, I closed them to block out the beauty of my surroundings. Even in a dream, it hurt to be here, and I couldn't escape. Hyacinths, peonies, roses. All around me, the aromas from Glory Academy's garden were so familiar, the scene burst into the forefront of my mind even as I tried to shut it out.

Hopefully, my courage hadn't been sapped away along with my energy, for I was going to need strength to get through this. What made me think I could do this?

"Where are you?"

I opened my eyes again, blinking rapidly to adjust to the spokes of golden light emanating from under the hood of David's robe. His blue eyes were deep, filled with concern, but as usual, his features were indiscernible. At least like this, I could imagine him as David instead of the angel who betrayed me with my best friend, although I don't know why I tried. When I woke up, he would be Mike again. I couldn't blink that away. I couldn't ask him to wear a robe and shine light so that his face would be hidden.