Chapter Fifty-Two

Not wanting Raffy and Uri to see me so rattled after my run-in with the orderlies, I took five minutes to hyperventilate while a wall held me upright just outside the doors leading into the ER waiting room. It wasn't a complete fix, but at least I wouldn't advertise how affected I'd been. By the time I calmed down and found my way into the waiting room, the bar rush of fighters and assault victims had ended, the groups dwindled by at least half of the crowd I'd left behind when Gabe had taken me to the cafeteria.

Raffy and Uri hadn't moved. I jumped as the doors slammed behind me and watched as they both looked up, though not because they had noticed my return. The glass-plated doors at the center of the wall to my left opened. Two doctors in surgical caps and gowns entered, catching Raffy and Uri's attention. While they stood, I ran, earning a disapproving glare from the security guard on my right. But even if he came at me with handcuffs, nothing was going to keep from meeting the doctors.

"You're here with Suzie Whithall?" the female doctor asked. Covered in operating attire, thankfully minus the blood, only their faces were discernable, but both surgeons looked as flawless as their profession demanded of their skill. "I'm Dr. Redne and this is Dr. Crast. We operated on your friend."

"Are any of you family?" Dr. Crast asked, his voice deep and low.

"I am."

Uri and Raffy looked at me in surprise as I appeared at their side from behind, out of breath from rushing. They'd better not call me on my embellishment, especially not in front of the doctors who were there to give us news. Family always learned the outcome first, and we were as close as sisters, so much so that saying we were related didn't feel like a lie.

"Can I see Suzie?" I asked Dr. Crast. "What room is she in?"

He looked at Dr. Redne and nodded. She sighed and turned to face me, her green-eyed gaze serious and... sad. Gravity pushed every cell of my body down, turning my feet to lead, which was the only thing keeping me from floating away. Everything within me screamed for me to run away before the doctor could response, but still my feet wouldn't move. I was rooted in place against my will. The room began to close in around me and I forgot to breathe.

"Would you care to sit down?" she asked.

I shook my head, unable to speak. Just say it already!

Dr. Crast looked to his partner and then waved to an empty chair. "You should have a—"

"Just tell me what you have to say," I snapped, jerking my gaze from Dr. Redne to hold Dr. Crast's stare.

"Suzie came in with what appeared to be a concussion and minor scrapes and bruises," Dr. Redne said, ignoring Dr. Crast's glance of warning, and I refocused my attention once more. "We were worried because she was exhibiting signs unusual to the symptoms of a concussion, the most obvious that of multiple seizures. Extensive testing had to be completed to diagnose the extent of her injuries..."

Dr. Crast, noticing Dr. Redne's hesitation, continued the explanation she'd begun, and I switched my gaze yet again, all the while holding my breath. "We did everything we could to help Suzie," he said, "but I'm afraid it wasn't enough. She'd been bleeding into her brain. The bump she received on her head burst an aneurysm. I'm so sorry, but she died during the operation."

"W-what?"

My body swayed. I reached behind me, looking to grasp the armrest of the chair. I missed and began to lose my balance. Hands circled my waist, pulling me into a tight embrace. Gabe. He hadn't left. He pulled one hand from my waist to stroke my hair and whisper in my ear.

"Thank you, Doctors," Uri said, but I was too numb to look up.

"It's okay, Alyssa," Gabe said softly. "I'm here. It's okay."