A Song Of Pain

It was storming, but he didn't care. He just needed to get all of the pain and heartbreak out. Somehow. He just grabbed his guitar and keys and went to the beach. The ocean was a violent torrent, and the rain was loud and unrelenting, but he didn't care. He just sat down on rock, as comfortable as one could get on one. And he started picking out a melody. It was slow at first, just a gentle hum in the roar of the storm. It was as gentle as a mother meeting her child for the first time. Full of love and hope and happiness.

And then– And then it got louder. Stronger. And it changed. Now, it was full of pain an anger and longing. Each note full of emotion, each measure telling a story that only he could decipher. The song rode the roar of the ocean and danced to the drumming of the rain. But never once did it become harsh. Never once did it become commandeering. It always was as sweet and sad as the first note.The world seemed to slow down, just to listen to his song of woe. The ocean calmed and the rain slowed. He didn't let up. The world held its breathe, waiting for the climax. Waiting for him to shatter. But he never did. The song did reach its peak, and that was when he let out the scream. And then it slowed, calmed to a soft pace and an even softer hum.

He just sat on the rock, soaked to the bone. The ocean was just a gentle lullaby in the background. For the first time in a long time, he was truly at peace. He never wanted to leave. His song of pain still hung in the air, but now it was like a balm, soothing the sharp edges of his mind.