The Price Of Loving

Thunder shook the house and rain pounded on the windows. The wind howled violently, and the trees shivered. They sunk further into the nest of blankets and pillows, trying to relieve themself of the aching in their heart. It was the perfect weather to be sulking around, but they weren't sulking. No, they weren't sulking at all, they were grieving. Grieving for what, they didn't know, but they were grieving nonetheless. Maybe for a chance forgotten, or an opporunity ignored. Maybe a friendship broken, maybe a loved one lost.

The grief mixed and whirled with anger and sadness and curiosity and pain. Pain for what? Curiosity for what? Anger and sadness and grief for what? These feelings, for what? The emotions swirled in their heart, sadness settling in their stomach while anger flared in their heart. Fury licked the walls of their mind and grief ate at their heart. They hardly noticed when the tears started, warm and salty.

. . .

The soft whispering of the trees and quiet tapping of the rain lulled them to sleep. The wind danced gracefully and the moon laid low in the sky. They slept, trying to forget the feelings they felt. They felt a tad bit better, if better meant empty. If better meant numb. They weren't grieving anymore, not really. They had accepted it, for it would be foolish to hope otherwise. But that didn't rid them of the sadness they felt. But they'd never get rid of that sadness, would they? No, likely not.

But sometimes, that was the price of loving so much.