The Charred Phoenix

Nyx paced around the foyer, muttering to herself. Against her best efforts, she had grown more and more isolated, remote. Working with her frustrated Nyx. She kept throwing at her Sisyphean tasks and adversities. Working with her was a deleterious, dangerous task. But at the same, it provided her the sanctuary she hadn't had since the Day Of the Torn Veil, when everything fell apart. A knock at the door caught her attention, breaking her from her panic induced trance.

Quickly, she donned a strict, austere expression, ready to either command a worker to leave her alone or be hunted down by her former boss. Taking a deep breath, she opened the door. Immediately, her stern expression wavered as she saw the person standing at her door. Her. The leader of the city, the sycophant herself. "What do you want, Delphiniums?" Delphiniums smirked, throwing Nyx's apartment an avaricious glance. "Glad to see you're enjoying the fruits of my work." She grit her teeth together, trying to keep her rebuffing and remarks respectful. It would do no good to her to lose her temper and risk her life. "Your work? Delphiniums, you never did any field work." Her ex-boss raised an eyebrow, the vibrant raven flower in place of her eye shimmering alluringly in the yellow fluorescent light. "Do not forget who started the Mafia, Prometheus."

Nyx flinched at the name. It was the code she had gone by during her time with the city's mafia. The name was always sweet on the lower ranks' tongues. It was what she had grown accustomed to. Hearing it so venomously, so accusingly... It was like a stab to her gut. She didn't mourn the code; she hadn't felt like Promtheus in weeks. She mourned what it gave her, the sanctuary it provided. Torpidly, as if trying to abate a rabid animal, she shut the door behind her. It wasn't safe to let Delphiniums see the inside and it wasn't safe to let the Revolution hate her as much as they did. Everyone was at an impasse.

"The mourning doves are waiting for you," Delphiniums said in their sickeningly saccharine tone.

"And the raging conflagration consumes you." Her response was languid, unbothered. She wondered if Delphiniums understood what she meant. Would she heed that as a warning against the Revolution? Would she understand that as a declaration of what was happening to her? "It consumes you like an oil fire consumes forests."