v. phoenix

— CAPÍTULO CINCO: PHOENIX

CAPÍTULO CINCO: PHOENIX

— CAPÍTULO CINCO: PHOENIX

( D-DAY, MINUTE 46 )

⠀⠀⠀⠀With every small victory comes another battle. This cycle continues until the war is over—and this one was far from it. For this reason, the celebration of striking gold was short-lived. The Professor was the herald of the news; the police had discovered the bug, and the plan needed to be sped up.

⠀⠀⠀⠀"Keep calm," the Professor reminded the leader inside the bank after making the urgent announcement.

⠀⠀⠀⠀"Keep calm?" Palermo scoffed. "Calm is what you can be in your van, sweetheart. In here, we're surrounded by the Spanish army. We don't know when they'll enter. And we don't know where."

⠀⠀⠀⠀Bogotá was slaving away tens of meters below the group. Wrapped in bubbles of oxygen, the fire from his lance slowly melted through the steel. However, cutting through the door would take more than an hour, maybe more than two. They only had fourteen minutes.

⠀⠀⠀⠀Lisbon explained that Colonel Tamayo would ignore all established rules and protocols. "It means they're gonna enter as soon as they unblock the door," she announced.

⠀⠀⠀⠀The only option was to use an alternative: Flipper. The governor was their dolphin, their lucky bet, their winning racehorse. Denver placed his hand on the governor's shoulder, and it was at that moment, the older official understood his role in the heist. He was to be the one that gave the robbers what they wanted on a silver platter.

⠀⠀⠀⠀The group sprung into action, executing the next steps of the plan. First, they had to disperse bulletproof vests and fake weapons to all hostages. The tactic had worked wonderfully during the last heist. Why change it? Of course, there were bound to be a few hostages that attempted to play the hero. The robbers simply had to remind them of their place: helpless hostage.

⠀⠀⠀⠀"Don't put your vests on!" A young man spoke up, the eyes behind his glasses glinting with fear despite his brave actions. "They want to use us as human shields. It's true. Don't put it on."