vi. consequences

— CAPÍTULO SEIS: CONSEQUENCES

CAPÍTULO SEIS: CONSEQUENCES

— CAPÍTULO SEIS: CONSEQUENCES

( D-DAY, HOUR 2 )

⠀⠀⠀⠀Xiomara Gonzalez thanked the two armed men who parted the green tent flaps for her as she entered the command center. She strowed into the center of the area, going unnoticed as she studied the people who busily worked around her. They only stopped when she clapped her hands twice to get their attention.

⠀⠀⠀⠀"Good afternoon, ladies and gentlemen. I'm Inspector Xiomara Gonzalez. I have orders from Colonel Prieto to take over the negotiation of the heist with Inspector Alicia Sierra." She turned in a circle to make brief eye contact with everyone in the room and ensure they were paying attention. She wouldn't be repeating herself. "I need two things. One, a black coffee from the Brazilian cafe down the street. I haven't slept in forty-eight hours, and their dark roasts could keep a dying man alive for days."

⠀⠀⠀⠀She chose a random man standing in the corner and pointed at him, "You have ten minutes." He stared back at her blankly, seeming not to have processed a word she said. "What are you waiting for? Go!" With another clap of her hands, he was scurrying out of the tent towards the cafe. "Second, I need someone to point me to Colonel Tamayo," she finished her short list of needs.

⠀⠀⠀⠀"I'm here," Tamayo called from behind a sheet of thick plastic that divided the command tent. He sat on the edge of a metal chair, a medic standing next to him and checking his blood pressure. Her long legs took her to him in a few steps, her blonde slicked-back ponytail swishing as she approached.

⠀⠀⠀⠀With a quick flick of her eyes, she noticed his discarded suit jacket, loosened tie, the specific shade of red that tinged his face, and the beads of sweat that had collected at his hairline. It was evident that the original plan to infiltrate the bank had failed miserably. "You look rough, papa."

⠀⠀⠀⠀"Nice to see you too, hija."

⠀⠀⠀⠀Florence stopped shuffling the papers she had been pretending to study as she intently listened to the hushed words being exchanged between the Colonel and Inspector. Xiomara Gonzalez was the daughter of Luis Tamayo. This was news to her, and it would certainly be news to the Professor. She needed to call him.