25

Harry had Niall pick him up from work yesterday, since we came together on my bike. He said they had some errands to run and he would call me later.

He didn't call me later and I'm annoyed with myself that I'm annoyed about it. I tried to pretend like I wasn't waiting by the phone for him, but when I moved the entire handset and receiver to my nightstand from my dresser, I knew I lost that battle.

I fell asleep watching The Wizard of Oz and staring at the little screen on my phone. I woke up in the exact same position. The blue light from the finished VHS tape illuminating my room.

I rub my fist into my eye, debating whether or not to go back to sleep, when my phone rings. It startles me so much that I nearly fall out of bed, knocking the phone and receiver onto the floor.

"Shit." I mutter, climbing out of bed and kneel on the floor to reach for the phone that's now underneath my bed frame.

"Hello?" I answer, clutching my hand to my chest to feel my rapid heartbeat.

"Why are you out of breath?"  Harry chuckles through the phone and I feel my face flush even more.

"I knocked my phone over and had to scramble to find it."

"Hmm, that answer is not as sexy as I was hoping it would be." I giggle and lay back onto my bed, feeling much lighter now that I'm hearing his voice. "Happy birthday, Vi."

"Ugh." I sit up and pull the covers back around my body. "Don't remind me."

"Our whole day is going to be me reminding you, baby."

"What?"

"Get dressed. I'll be there in five."

The dial tone rings in my ear when Harry hangs up, giving me no time to respond, or protest. Normally I would crawl back into bed and hibernate until my dad made me get up, but something about the way Harry said "our whole day" has my skin tingling.

I hang up the receiver and jump out of bed, scrambling to my closet to try and figure out what I'm going to wear. I pull out a pair of faded, acid wash mom jeans and one of Harry's rock band shirts that I stole from him a few weeks back.

I quickly run my fingers through my hair, hoping my curls fall into place. I brush my teeth before swiping some blush over my cheeks as well as a few coats of mascara to make myself look more alive. I grab the expensive perfume I bought myself last year, that I've only worn once, and lightly spray it onto my neck and wrists.

Just as I walk back into my bedroom, I hear the roar of Harry's car pull up outside my house. My stomach flips in excitement as I look out my window at him and he waves at me from the driver's seat, a big dimpled smile on his face.

I quickly exit my room and bound down the stairs, hoping no one is awake yet so I can sneak out unnoticed.

I'm tying up my last boot when I hear a familiar, tired voice.

"Happy birthday, Honey."

I turn around to find my dad standing behind me in his pajamas and robe, one hand rubbing at his tired eyes.

"Thanks, Dad." I smile and don't even think before I'm pulling him into a hug. He wraps his arms around me and kisses the top of my head, chuckling.

"Is that Harry outside?" He asks when I pull away, cocking an amused eyebrow at me. I nod my head sheepishly and he smiles again. "Mom is still asleep. Go, before she wakes up."

A grin breaks out on my face at him and I turn around to open the front door, blowing a kiss in his direction before closing it again.

I hastily walk across the grass toward Harry, who is leaning against his car with the passenger door open and waiting for me.