Chapter 31- Defending the Border I

This was all happening too quick, the sudden attack on the wall, the army of monsters marching down towards them, and the appearance of a dragon.

'W-what did we get ourselves into?'

The bat hung idly by her side as the stomping of the creatures approaching at full force began making the ground quake. It was not harsh enough to lose balance but it was a testament to their sheer numbers.

A few of the earlier fairy guards who had flown up for a full scale on the attack began stopping midair and took notice of the ground enemies who were slowly inching closer towards the gate.

"C-commander!?"

"I see them! Split up; we'll take on the dragon while the second squadron eliminates the enemies below, rendezvous back once you've dealt with the situation here!"

She couldn't really tell who was yelling out instructions but it didn't matter anyway. A few of the fairy soldiers landed some distance away from them preparing their weapons to strike back.

"Sayu, Hiromichi, you two help out here, I'm going where the dragon is." Kami's voice turned her attention away from the frontline.

"H-huh? We should stay together we're not sure how strong the enemy is." Sayu suggested in a panic. "Hiromichi?" she turned around hoping to receive back up.

He only silently stared back as he rolled his shoulders, fist ready to go. "Looking for all the glory again huh? That's fine, go ahead, honestly this sounds like a perfect chance to cut loose a little." he added with a grin. "I'll get rid of all these bastards before you're done with that flying lizard!"

She tensed up sensing that she wasn't going to win this discussion. Her eyes simply shot back at Kami and with a stern voice she ordered. "Just go, come back once you're done, understand?"

Kami smiled and nodded his head. His body began to glow with a blue aura and levitate off the ground. "Heh." and that was it, he shot up into the air and in a blink of an eye he was off somewhere in the distance.

A few onlookers seemed to have noticed him suddenly flying off into the sky but they instantly turned back to face the real threat.

At this point, the only ones not by the gate trying to desperately make their way to the other side where the fay and a handful of other adventurers. Many of them looked ready to join in on the fray, but they waiting patiently to see how the fairy would fare against them.

Comparatively the army of monsters was vastly superior to that of their own in terms of numbers. Even counting the others who appeared to be adventures into the fays ranks, it was nowhere near enough. While there were nearly about fifty to sixty soldiers currently here and around twenty or so adventurers hanging back; the army of creatures numbered somewhere in the low hundreds. A large majority of the fays strength was clearly on keeping the dragon from reaching the wall so only this small squadron remained to hold these back.

"Shields!"

A number of guards lined up accordingly and lowered themselves onto a knee while holding a shield directed at the creatures. The line was long enough to cover the road and then some which was where the monsters were coming from.

"Support!"

On command a few of the fairies in the back raised their hands and weapons.

"[Reinforce]!"

"[Chain Link]!"

"[Fortification]!"

"[Sturdy]!"