Chapter Fourteen: Chance Rocker

Chance Rocker;

We'd found the emerald, the Jonathan guy showed up again to talk to Amelia, and we were on our way back, but everybody was tired, so we decided to set up a camp site on the edge of the woods. The road was in sight, but you couldn't see us from it. Amelia curled up instantly and drifted off. I told Hayden I'd take first watch, which he agreed to, but he was still up.

"I still love her," Hayden said. "Treat her right, or you're dead."

I didn't know what to say, so I remained silent. Hayden flipped over and started to rest.

"Hey, son," a voice said. I whirled around to find myself face to face with Jonathan.

"You aren't going to wake her up," I told him. "She's had a rough day and I'm not going to let you near her."

He chuckled a bit, shaking his head. Jonathan leaned against a tree and sank to the ground. He looked like somebody I'd seen before, but I couldn't quite but my finger on it. Amelia really seemed to have grown fond of him, but I on the other hand, not so much.

"I'm not here for her-but for you." I stared at him in shock.

"But... Wha-wha-what?" I stumbled over my words. "Why... Why me?"

"I have something very important to tell you," he looked at me with eyes full of... was that sympathy?

What could this guy possibly have to tell me? Was it something about Amelia? I hoped it wasn't. I hoped she was okay. Even if it was about her, she would've already told me... right?

"Has your dad ever said anything about a brother of his or anything?" Jonathan was messing with something on his wrist. I tried to see it, but all I saw in the moonlight was a silvery glint.

"Yes," I said. "He had a brother that died a while back, a month or so after I was born, I believe."

"Now tell me what he really told you," Jonathan said, boredom hinting in his voice. "You and I both know you're hiding something. I can see it all over you."

"Fine," I fiddled with my hands, not taking my eyes off of them. Nervous habit of mine, I suppose. "The day before I started my first mission, my dad told me everything. He told me he had a brother. He told me his brother was my biological father and I was not to tell anybody, not even Amelia. My mom and him had taken me in when my real mother died giving birth to me and my father was forced out of town for reasons he would not explain to me. Now that I think about it, I think it's because my father had powers-like Hayden and I. I'm assuming, that you already knew all that though, right? The thing on your wrist-my dad told me that's how I'd know my biological father if I'd ever get to meet him. That's the watch, isn't it? The or that both you and your twin have, just in case this day ever happened. You're my dad."

"You're very smart. I'm proud of you, son," I looked up at the man-my father. Jonathan Rocker. The person that raised me's twin. The guy who'd disappeared with Amelia and made me practically hate him.

I locked eyes with him. His were shining with tears that almost looked animated in the moonlight.

"Amelia knows, doesn't she?" I gestured toward her sleeping form.

"It's not her fault she didn't tell you. She wanted to," he told me, "honestly. I was the on that kept her quiet.

I nodded then whispered the word I'd been saying to the wrong guy for years.

"Dad."