Chapter Fifteen: Hayden Carpenter

Hayden Carpenter:

I awoke to a gray sky. The lackadaisical rays of sun spreading slowly over the horizon. Amelia and Chance were already up, conversing quietly so I couldn't quite hear what they were saying. Chance noticed me first.

"Oh, good," Amelia turned to face me, "you're up. I need to talk to the two of you."

I was shocked. The look of complete surprise on Chance's face told me he was taken off guard, as well. We looked at each other and shrugged simultaneously.

"Since we've made it this far, and we'll be going back with all of us in one piece, I'm hoping we could all, you know, be like friends again or something," Amelia rushed her words out nervously.

"After all he's-" Chance began only to be cut off.

"I know. But I'm willing to forgive him--which, by the way, you should, too," Amelia looked at me and gave a small smile.

"I accept," I smiled at her, as well.

"Okay," Chance whispered in a small voice. "I agree."

"Good," Amelia said. "This is good."

There was a loud crashing sound in the woods nearby. We all whipped around to find ourselves only seven or eight feet from another giant type thing. There was no weapons to defend oursleves this time. We were on our own. All at once, we turned and sprinted towards the road. The giant made a sharp cry.

I turned to find the man. Jonathan--seriously, who was this guy?--had already stabbed one of the eyes and was going for the other. He reached it and stabbed, then disappeared, as did the big...thing. Jonathan was suddenly standing right beside me. I yelped, unable to stop myself.

"That was fun, wasn't it?" Jonathan chuckled a bit. "Alright, I've got a short cut back, you know, before you three almost get killed again."

"You're going to flash us three home?" I asked, wondering if it was safe to flash from place to place, but Amelia had done it before, so it should be okay.

"Us four, thank you very much," He looked slightly annoyed, but then, we were suddenly home. In less than a second.