Chapter Six: Hayden Carpenter

Hayden Carpenter;

Her first word was my name. She really said my name first. Amelia probably didn’t remember much, but I was sure Chance wouldn’t let this go. I knew him at least well enough to figure that part out.

“Amelia…? Remember, uh, remember me?” Chance whispered quietly.

“Yeah, you’re Chance, right? My best guy friend,” Amelia looked from him to me. “And this is Hayden, my boyfriend.”

I could tell she believed every word spilling out of her mouth. Obviously Chance could too, because he did not look the least bit happy. He turned towards me. I was pushed back harshly. I stayed back, though I didn’t want to. I just watched as Chance kneeled beside by confused ex-girlfriend.I secretly hoped she’d never remember everything that happened between us and that Chance was her boyfriend now, but at the same time, I didn’t want her staying with me because she lost her memory. That wouldn’t be right.

“Amelia. You have to listen to me. You have to trust me. Please, you have to remember,” Chance begged Amelia with all he had.

“Chance doesn’t know anything,” I tried to convince Amelia, but it seemed like she didn’t hear me one bit.

“Chance, what are you talking about? I remember everything clearly,” Or at least she thought she did. “Oh, except one thing; Where are we?”

“See, if you truly did remember, you’d know where we were,” he countered.

“Okay, then tell me everything, I’ll believe you,” She put all her trust towards him. I hadn’t realized how close they’d been while I was dating her. I just put all her friends aside and hadn’t cared. Maybe Chance had been right all along.

“I’ll tell you slowly so you’re not too overwhelmed, okay?” He began. “A couple months ago, Hayden started treating you like complete dirt.”

“Hey! It wasn’t that bad,” I tried defending myself, but in a way, I knew he was right.

“I’d like it if I wasn’t interrupted until the end. Especially by you.” Chance glared at me. “As I was saying, you were getting pretty upset by it, but you were hoping it was just a phase. I, on the other hand, didn’t want to see you hurt,” I watched Amelia skeptically as Chance continued. She frowned, no doubt in mass confusion. “He started…. He… cheated on you numerous times. You never wanted to believe it, and for a while, you shook it off. But, when instead of you breaking up with him, he broke up with you, which sent you completely crazy. You cried for about two weeks, Amelia, two freaking weeks,” That was new information to me, and I wish I’d never heard Chance say that. “I wanted to hunt this guy down so ba, but you didn’t want me to. You wanted him to not suffer whatsoever. But that doesn’t mean you didn’t suffer. You were in a deep hole, and I wanted to get you out, but it didn’t work that way. You started hurting yourself…” Chance faltered. That’s when I realized something. Her wrist, the scars on her wrist. She seriously did that because of me… Amelia lifted her wrist and her eyes widened. She looked back at Chance, definintly interested now. “So I told you the story. Do you remember the story?”

“No. But when are you getting to the part that Hayden and I get back together?” She still wasn’t getting it, but that was fine by me.

“Soon,” I couldn’t let Chance tell her the truth. “He’s getting there soon.”

“You don’t get back together with him,” Chance cut in, and I tried to tackle him. He reacted too fast and tripped me.

“Come on, Amelia, who would you rather believe? Him, who just did that to me, or myself?” I asked, on the ground cringing.

“I, um, I’m sorry,” Amelia looked at both of us apologetically, “but I think I want to hear the rest of Chance’s story…”

“Fine. Sorry to interrupt,” I mocked Chance.

“Okay, so anyway, I told you how I got my own scar, and how I hadn’t chosen this, like you had. I told you that if I could take anything back, I’d be getting the scar. You stopped. You didn’t want a scar like mine, but you got them anyway,” Amelia lifted a hand to Chance’s face and traced along the scar lightly, not wanting to hurt him.

“And how did you get it? I want to know, concidering I don’t remember any of it,” She pleaded with him.

“I was young,” His voice dropped really low again. “I was with my older friend, alone. I think I was only four or five, so I didn’t know much back then. He was sixteen. He pulled out a knife. Josten was his name. He said I was annoying and he couldn’t stand me. He came at me and slashed my face with force. I slumped to the ground and didn’t breathe. That was probably the only thing that kept me alive. Josten left and skipped town. I waited for about twenty minutes after he left, slowly bleeding out. I ran to the hospital blindly. I have nightmeres about it all the time. You were the first person I told and ever will tell.”

“So what happened after you told me your story?” Amelia was completely absorbed into it now. I was losing her to Chance.

“After a little while, I convinced you to go out with me. Yesterday, you were told you were the next heir and we’re on a really important mission, but you just lost your memory, and oh yeah, Hayden and I are supposed to die on this mission. I think that’s about it,” Chance concluded quickly.

“Is it true?” Amelia looked from Chance to me in awe.

“Unfortuantly, yes. But you were gonna break up with him to go out with me,” A guy had to try, right?

“Now that,” Chance sighed, “is a lie.”

Amelia looked at me and her awed look turned to pure hatred.

“I will never forgive you, Hayden Carpenter,” She pushed me lightly to the side, stood up and ran down the road.

Suddenly, the doctor reappeared in a shimmering mist. As soon as he was there, he was gone again, but so was Amelia.

You could hear the tail end of her screaming Chance’s name hanging in the air.