XXVII. GILDEROY LOCKHART'S GUIDE TO FAME (AND GREAT HAIR)

The next morning, after being forcefully evicted from bed, I had a quick shower(that felt heavenly after the events of yesterday), put on my uniform(and my sparkly purple flats, which aren't nearly as comfy as my Dorothy flats), and let Tracey Dap...

The next morning, after being forcefully evicted from bed, I had a quick shower(that felt heavenly after the events of yesterday), put on my uniform(and my sparkly purple flats, which aren't nearly as comfy as my Dorothy flats), and let Tracey Daphne and Pansy(--and Bulstrode)drag me off to breakfast.

The enchanted ceiling was a dull, cloudy grey.

When we walked in, Harry wove me over from where he was sitting at Gryffindor table with Ron and Hermione.

"Save me a seat--" I said quickly, "I'm just gonna go annoy my idiots--and Hermione--"

"But I thought--" I'd already skipped off, leaving Tracey to trail off half-heartedly, "you were going to sit with us...because we weren't able to owl most of the summer...which you still haven't really explained..."

She glanced at Daphne, who smiled wryly.

"Gooood morning, morons!" I sang teasingly.

"Morning, Jules," Harry replied, not even bothering to argue.

Ron, on the other hand, complained, "we're not morons--"

"The last twenty-four hours begs to differ," I quipped.

He rolled his eyes.

"Morning, 'Mines," I added, grinning.

"Good morning, Jewel," Hermione said a bit stiffly without looking up from her copy of Voyages with Vampires, which she'd propped open against a milk jug.

I cringed.

"So, I'm guessing you heard about the flying car?"

"Mmhm."

I didn't need to be a telepath to pick up on the disapproval in her voice.

"Yeaaah..." I rubbed the back of my neck, "did Ronnie and Skywalker mention that I was an innocent bystander and did nothing wrong?"

"'--did nothing wrong?'" Ron repeated incredulously. "You tricked us into promising to take all the blame--"

"You were going to steal the car anyway," I retorted, "and you wouldn't listen to me--frankly, you deserved it--and, come on, you can't tell me you weren't impressed, because I know you were--it was so good--"

"It was a bit impressive," Harry admitted.

I gestured at him.

"Thank you!"

"Yeah, well--you're still evil," Ron shot back.

"Never said I wasn't," I snorted, squinting at him.

"Hi, Jewel," Neville said cheerfully.

I tipped my imaginary captain's hat, "Nev."

"Mail's due any minute--I think Gran's sending a few things I forgot."