Chapter 7

On the fourth day, we plan to depart once everyone has left, which will have to be around lunch since the kids don't have school—it's one of those random mental health days they now scatter into the school yea. Theodore spends the morning packing, while I sit on the floor next to his bed reading and staying out of his way. The few clothes his cousin was planning on donating are now in my possession and at the bottom of the duffle bag. Extra medical supplies make the short list since I've been informed it'll take a while for my hand to fully heal and I may have accidentally picked a scab until it began to bleed, further delaying the healing. With all the bandaging, I like the hoodie, because I can shove my hand into the pouch and pretend it isn't all ripped up. Plus, Theodore tells me I'm lucky I didn't need antibiotics because he wasn't sure how he'd have gotten them if I did.

Prompted by the sound of his aunt's car turning out of the driveway, Theodore and I head downstairs toward the kitchen to grab food before departing. I learn old habits are hard to shake as I carry myself down the staircase in the same quiet manner ingrained in me. It's a good thing though, I realize as Theodore stops me before I turn into the kitchen with him. He greets someone. As it turns out, the house isn't rid of itsinhabitants after all. A nervous shock makes its way through my body, causing me to be incredibly aware of my breathing and thrumming heart—are they always this loud?

"I thought you left with your mom and sister, Benny," Theodore says to his thirteen-year-old cousin, Benjamin, who shouldn't be here.

"Dad's coming to get me soon instead," I hear in reply.

"Oh. What are you two going to do?" Theodore asks casually as someone, probably him, opens the fridge door.

"I need new basketball shoes. Dad should be here soon." Uh oh. Hurry up, Theodore. What am I supposed to do now?

As if he hears me, Theodore appears in front of me with a handful of snacks. Nothing else happens to indicate my mouth betrayed me.

"Nice, that should be fun. Well, I have to get going. I'll see you, Benny," Theodore calls over his shoulder as he motions for me to follow him towards the garage door. He crinkles the packaging in what I assume to be an effort to conceal the two sets of feet walking in tandem.

"Wait!" We hear Benny get up, so I turn into the nearest room, a living room of sorts, hoping I wasn't seen. My heart is pounding in my ears now. "When will you be back?" I can hear some sadness in the question. Theodore had told me Benjamin looks up to him like the big brother he wanted, as opposed to the older sister he had.

Sorry, kid, I need Theodore more than you do right now.

I hear Theodore let out a sigh, "Probably a few days, Benny. You have plenty of ways to reach me, you know that. I've really got to go, so send me a picture of the shoes you get!" With the dismissal, I hear Benjamin sulk off and plop down on a stool in the kitchen. Theodore leads me back in the direction of the garage.

I take some slow deep breaths in an effort to slow my heart once the door is shut behind us. I am further directed to a shiny black car and climb into the back seat. We agreed ahead of time that I should be hidden in case some nosy onlooker sees me while we leave town. Theodore tosses the packed duffle bag onto me with little care, ouch. Then I hear a car park and him greet his uncle.

Well shit. This family has great timing. If only they could see how hard I roll my eyes.

"Theodore, I'm glad I caught you. Want to come with Benjamin and me before you depart?"

I've been hiding in your house for four nights and now you decide to bother Theodore for his company? If I didn't have so much practice with being patient, this situation would be way worse for all of us.