Chapter 16

Blair stood in line, holding a dress, a blouse, a pair of jeans and a box of sandals. Lindsay was merely three feet behind her while Nancy checked on her smartphone for new emails, the application loaded, amd was still loading. “What the hell is wrong with the Wi-fi around here?” Nancy groused.

“Hate to break it to you ma'am, but the signal is useless when you're over 3,000 ft in the air.” The clerk informed before she grabbed the hangar from Blair and passed the article of clothing through the scanner.

“Don't you have any routers installed get the internet to scan?” Nancy asked.

“We do,” the clerk said as she typed the order on the computer and clicked the total to be sent to the receipt, “but I repeat, no signal.” The clerk tore the receipt while Blair paid in cash and gave it to her.

“There's an electronic store nearby.” Lindsay commented in order to diffuse the situation by the time the clerk gave Blair the spare change. Nancy eyed Blair through her sunglasses as she saw her walk out of the line.

“Some snakes slither away after spewing their venom.” Nancy barbed at Blair while the purple haired model exited the store.

“Stop antagonizing her already. We're here to relax.” Lindsay mentioned as she passed the clothes to the clerk. “I can't wait to give Cindy her birthday present and get it over with. Wilmer contacted his photographer to prepare a portfolio for a marketing campaign and I have to record the event.” The clerk scanned the clothes Lindsay picked out for herself, and for her daughter.

“For his own sake, he better have a present for our baby girl. If he flakes out on our daughter's birthday to spend time with her. I'll file for divorce.” Lindsay spoke nonchalant, then the clerk showed the price.

“Wait, what?” Nancy's sunglasses nearly slipped out of the bridge of her nose. She was surprised to hear her optimistic cousin to see that her husband wasn't so charming.

“Don't act surprised, I know how much you hate my husband.” Lindsay knew how much of a misandrist Nancy was and she also knew about her husband's affair.

“But still...” Nancy added before the clerk gave the shopping bags after Lindsay paid.

“I'm giving him this opportunity to prove his loyalty. If he fails our daughter to sneak off with his lover. It's over.” Lindsay walked out of the store before Nancy brought the outfit to the clerk.

Arcade Guy steepled his fingers as he looked at Johnny while the partially gray haired man glared at him.

"Malice? I didn't take you for a conspiracy theorist."

"This isn't about theories. I'm stating facts. You both are shrewd slackers that will take any shortcut to get exactly what you want. No matter who gets hurt in the process." Johnny stated while the fat employee took it in stride.

"The only thing Doug and I have in common is the footwear brand. I'm a gamer, not a cannabis enthusiast." The arcade guy stated as he lightly raised his right foot, showing off his gray, black and white Panther sneakers. Then swiveled his chair to look back on the security camera.

"You can act stupid all you want, but I know that you're the one who tampered with the aircraft's router." Johnny remarked.

"Sure, blame the nerd for messing with the IP adress. Just because I failed to install a retro gaming system in the control room doesn't mean that I'm the one who ruined the router, ok? No one benefits from having flimsy Wi-Fi reception, specially me. I have a gaming channel to maintain, if I lose suscribers by lack of live steaming and updates. I'll lose the extra cash that helps me pay my rent." The arcade guy groused at Johnny then looked at the screen.

Vargas remained in her office while she checked on the security cameras. The recent activity she saw through the surveillance was the security bots transported an unstable passenger to the designated dorm room while the relative of the passenger wore a fairy costume. The captain instinctively rubbed her nape as a way to aleviate stress. Clyde entered the office not long after he brought the keys. The light jingling of keys made Vargas swivel her desk chair to face the pilot.

"Thank you, Clyde. I know that I can be strict most of the time, but I only do it because I consider you like family." Captain Vargas said while she looked up at Clyde before he put the keys on the desk.

"I know, boss." Clyde replied before he turned away.

Clyde returned to his station as he sat next to Bonnie while they navigated the aircraft towards Amsterdam, which was approximately a five hour flight.

It took an hour for Lindsay to buy presents for her daughter and an additional half hour to get the presents gift wrapped for Cindy's birthday party. For Autumn's safety, Dawn left her older sister in the dorm room and locked her there to binge watch prerecorded movies and musicals and contacted her coworker to send videos of animals they previously treated at the veteranarian clinic every hour. If Autumn got hungry, she could contact a catering service that was within the aircraft.

As much as Dawn would've liked to keep her sister company during her depressing episodes, she went back to check what went on during the birthday girl's party. It certainly wasn't about the blonde business woman she met either, she just wanted to stay clear of any emotional conflict. There were times when a patient with bipolar disorder needed their personal space to vent out their unpredictable meltdowns or fits of anger, then out of nowhere the patient could get hyperactive and take a complete 180 in a matter of seconds.

Dawn was still worried that Autumn would do something to hurt herself. The short haired brunette wouldn't be able to entertain anyone with the unusual situation Autumn put her in, much less at this moment when she became emotional drained more than before.