Her last goodbye

To his surprise Wheatley woke up still safely on the catwalk. Rick had already started to climb back down and Fact was hanging onto the edge for dear life.

"Oh hang on there buddy"

"Did you know that Aperture railing is not actually metal but a mixture of plastic and bones"

"No I didn't know that...thats urr interesting" He pulled him up safety. "0% of success" he smiled proudly "yer right. I think that went rather well don't you Chell? Ch-chell?"

He looked around. She was no where to be seen. Maybe she had already left. It was to much to hope she would wait for him. Perhaps he really didn't deserve her forgiveness. On the plus side some success had come from the day. He had finally got back to Earth, he had at least seen Chell again and they had saved the facility.

That feeling of success was quickly shattered by a call from below. Rick had found her.

When the console had blown the others had been standing next to the one of the few remaining stable rails. They had forced them back onto the catwalk. Chell hadn't been so lucky.

Rick waited by her side as she lied there. Wheatley got there as fast as he could without falling himself. He forced Rick aside. Rick allowed him through and joined Fact behind him. They both felt completely useless. She had done so much for them. Now they were powerless to save her.

She was still breathing. Only just. But her breaths were short and shallow.

"No Chell. Wake up" He tried to shake her awake but it did nothing "Chell I'm so sorry. You shouldn't even be here. It's all my fault. I never wanted to hurt you. I swear I didn't. I failed you. I failed you then and I failed you now" He tried to fight back the tears but he didn't know how. "I'm sorry Chell so sorry. Please, please say something"

She just managed to break through the blackness to hear Wheatley's words. This time she knew he really meant it.

"Apple" she whispered smiling. He couldn't help but laugh. It was better late than never. There was so much more she could say. But she was tired now and fell back into his arms.

"She'll be alright" GLaDOS reassured him. "Shes strong. She'll be able to fight. Now to decide what to do with you" The dread he had when he first came back returned. He hadn't thought about what would happen once he had finished his job.

She really didn't know what to do with him. There was no point in keeping him around. He had probably coursed more destruction than Chell and that was really saying something.

"Just take Chell and go"

"Wait...what?"

"Just....get out of here. Never come back you understand"

"Come with us. Download yourself into a body. We can all go together and leave this place behind us"

"Thanks but after what I've heard about that world I think I'd prefer to stay inside" she refused. She still had Caroline's memories of the outside world burning her mind. There was no way she could go back. She was safe in here. Everything was how she wanted. She was in control here.

Wheatley picked up Chell and carried her towards the exit. Finally they could leave this place behind them forever.

"Wheatley...if you ever harm her-"

"I won't. I promise"

Nothing was in their way anymore. After a life in the dark they finally headed towards the light.

"Goodbye Michelle Johnson"