The Beginning of a Research

(Art by AbyssWatchers on DeviantArt)

Indeed, it was Sonia!

The ginger head with green eyes was inside the store, looking through the shelves for a specific book, but she seemed to be having some troubles.

I decided to check on her, to kill some time.

I approach her and announce.

Y/N: "Looking for a specific book, ma'am?"

She was startled at first, but then noticed it was just me.

Sonia: "Oh, it's just you."

Y/N: "Hello. But going back to the topic, you seem to be looking for something."

Sonia: "Yeah, I decided to start my research by having a small look at the bookshop of Motostoke, but as you can see, they're lacking a lot in the section of history." She says, pointing me at the shelves.

They were full of all kinds of books, Pokemon encyclopedias, cooking books and even children's books. But no books relating to the Galar history whatsoever.

Sonia: "By the way, how it's been? At the Gym, I mean, like how's the experience so far?"

Y/N: "Look, I'll be honest with you...if all this city smog doesn't kill me, the boredom definitely will."

Sonia giggles at my comment.

Sonia: "You remind me of Nessa when she started working as a Gym Leader. When the Gym Challenges started, there wasn't a day where she didn't complain to me that no one appeared at her Gym."

Y/N: "Yeah, I can see her point."

We both shared a small laugh.

Sonia: "But, going back to the point, I guess I'll have to look at the Vault."

Y/N: "Vault?"

Sonia: "Oh yeah, you don't know. Further north, there is a town called Hammerlocke, the town where Raihan's Stadium is located, and in that town, there is a building called the Vault and there are several items about Galar's past there, including items and tapestries about the Darkest Day."

I got extremely confused.

Y/N: "Ooook then...but let's suppose I don't understand what is-"

Sonia: "Don't need to tell me more."

She takes a deep breath and thinks about the next words to use.

Sonia: "The Darkest Day was an event that occurred in the region of Galar about 3000 years ago."

She starts.

Sonia: "During these events it is told that the region was covered by a great black storm and the land was assaulted by giant Pokémon, but it all came to an end when a young hero with a sword and a shield. This hero is represented by a statue at the Budew Drop Inn. And that's about all I know."

Y/N: "Yeah...I feel like I don't need a Ph.D. to tell you this story is VERY inconsistent." I joke.

Sonia: "Yeah, I think the same thing as well. Everyone believes that this is the tale that originated Galar, but maybe due to lots of parts being lost with time, or lack of care in preservation; much of the story seems to have been lost...And the only things that we still have about this event in specific are a statue here, a few tapestries in Hammerlocke and an ancient mural in Stow-On-Side. And I must add this is the most important part in Galar's history."

Y/N: "Wow, that's cool." I say with irony on my voice.

Sonia: "I know, right?"

Y/N: "Yeah, seems like you are in a bad situation. But I feel like going for the region's history is a great beginning. I'll be cheering for you and helping with what I can, ok?"

Sonia seems kinda taken aback.

Sonia: "Really? You'll help me?"

Y/N: "Well, I'll try since you know what. That'll probably take me a lot of time when people start coming here."

Sonia: "No no. I understand. Thank you." She replies with a smile.

Y/N: "Don't mention it."

We both start exiting the bookstore to go on our separate ways, when I spot a small a leaflet on the register counter. It was a simple brochure showing tourist attractions in the region. I decide to get one just in case there is something interesting, like a tourist spot nearby or something like that, to do in the next few days.

Sonia saw me grabbing the brochure.

Sonia: "These leaflets normally don't have the best touristic spots in the region, so I wouldn't recommend it a lot."

I keep on reading when a specific part grabs my attention.

It was a geoglyph in a town named Turffield. I take a good look at the photo in the leaflet, and it really resembled the story of the 'Darkest Day'.

Y/N: "Hey, maybe not all these spots are bad as you said." I reply, pointing at the geoglyph segment in the flyer.

Sonia eyes widen slightly, like she remembered something.

Sonia: "That's right! Turffield had these, they're also related to the Darkest Day!"

She then looks at her phone.

Sonia: "Well, Turffield is close from here, so maybe I'll just pay it a visit and maybe this will help me clear out things."

Y/N: "Well, good luck them."

Sonia: "Thanks. See ya around." She replies at me with a sweet smile and walks off.