vi. 𝗵𝘂 𝘁𝗮𝗼

no requester
word count - 6.2k
warnings: death, mentioned violence, angst.

"I'll help you remember everything, Ghostie!!!"

The very moment you awoke you could feel how everything was

The very moment you awoke you could feel how everything was... not as it should be.

Your body, for one, seemed to be completely weightless. Your eyes opened with trepidation, wincing at the sight of the harsh Liyue sun in the early morning. You lifted your arm, reaching translucent fingertips up to stare at the way light filtered through the trees above; right through your translucent skin.

The realization didn't hurt. It wasn't painful to understand you were dead.

Especially since you could remember nothing of when you were alive.

The afterlife is not as grim as many make it out to be. Sure, it could be boring at times, but that was only if you sought out solitude.

Your fellow ghostly brethren often flitted about the forests of Wuwang Hill, and you found yourself becoming quite acquainted with them. Listening to their stories, playing with the children who had passed, running around with the animals who could somehow sense your otherworldly presence.

Even with these activities though, you still often found yourself sitting down in the grass alone, contemplating your memories. You retained basic facts about Liyue, such as the name of the area you were in as well as information about your home city—Liyue Harbor. However, even with these memories, thoughts of your own personal self were lost to you.

It's strange, not knowing anything about yourself. You began mentally noting your many questions, such as: what kind of food did you like? Who were your friends and family when you were alive? What caused you to stay behind at Wuwang Hill as a ghost?

And most importantly of all, the question that haunted you the most: what was your name?

Your first sight her was at night, when many of the ghosts were resting under the comfort of the full moon's glow. They had poked and prodded for you to join them, to relax with them, but you didn't find the same comfort in the moon's light that they did. You don't know why you feel this way, but darkness was stifling. Uncomfortable.

This was just... another thing that sets you apart from them.

The path framed by trees on which you walked was silent, almost scarily so, even if you had nothing to be afraid of. After all, you were now one of the famed ghostly apparitions of Wuwang Hill.

If anything, this woman you were watching should be terrified of the woods. Had she no fear of spirits and monsters?

You eyed her cautiously from behind the bark of an old tree. You thought a shield would be unnecessary, because something about this woman causes you to feel a sort of... unease. Is that what this feeling was?