17

Beatrice entered the cafe, hungry after doing the rounds of the conference centre. Stand after stand promoting the mitigations being taken by different sectors, demonstrating technological developments both current and imagined, and highlighting discursive and artistic practices for communicating climate change. It was overwhelming, and at the same time, she thought, her brow furrowed, not entirely sufficient.

'Late breakfast? Lunch?' asked the woman behind the counter. 'We have a range of foods from around the world. And we've calculated the carbon footprint of each. Did you know a croissant uses more carbon than a bacon roll?'

'Really?' responded Beatrice.

'Aye. The croissant is 0.5kg of CO2. Bacon roll is only 0.4kg.'

'Well, in that case I'll have a bacon roll,' said Beatrice decisively.

'Good choice. That's the way to save the planet.' She handed over the roll with an enigmatic smile Beatrice wasn't sure how to interpret. Was this individual choice the way to solve climate crisis? The woman continued, 'Have one of these as well...' She proffered a canned drink, branded with a garish orange and blue lettering. 'Local delicacy. AOC loves it, I'm sure you will too.'

'...Ern-brew?'

'Aye, more or less.'

'Thanks! And... slainte!'