The door

My hands are sweating and my heart is pounding. I wonder if anyone notices? Probably not, I'm only five years old so they probably don't care. Well maybe my Papa does. I glance up at him. He's standing proudly at the top of the stairs.
Beside him is Abuela, with the miracle candle in her hands. He smiles at me. But my attention goes to the rat on his shoulder, who is picking at his neck.

Papa looks nice, he is wearing his clean suit with his hair combed back behind his ears. I think I look nice myself today.
My hair is in a tight bun at the top of my head, and I'm wearing a white lace dress that goes down to my ankles. Cousin Isabella helped me pick it out. Everyone is looking at me as I make my way down the aisle to the stairs.

I glance to the side to see my older cousins smiling at me. Even Dolores's weird husband looks proud. His name is Mariano, apparently he was in love with cousin Isabella before he married Dolores. There wedding was pretty cool though.
I got to be the flower girl.

I'm reaching the top of the stairs now, and I can see the glistening golden door waiting for me. Abuela reaches out for my hand. I take it and throw Papa a nervous glance. "Just go for it" whispered Papa softly. "She will be fine Bruno." said Abuela leaning down to me. I placed my hands on the side of the miracle candle. It felt warm. Calming.

I looked over my shoulder to see my tía peppe and my tío Felix. Their hands were on the shoulders of their children. Camilo winked at me and it made me giggle. Then tía Peppe looked at me then looked at the golden door as if to say "stop looking at us and open the goddamn door" so I turned back around.

Abuela nodded to me as I lifted my hands off the candle. I stepped closer to the door. Then reached out and placed my hand on the golden doorknob. I waited a couple seconds. Then.. The door began to transform, I was on it! I looked like an adult! My hair was in a loose ponytail, and in my hands I was holding, a clock? Why a clock?

I looked up at papa. He knelt down to me. " y/n I think you might have the gift of travelling through time!" he whispered with a grin on his face. Travel..Through time? How could I do that? "Close your eyes y/n" said Abuela softly. "Think of where you want to go"

I closed my eyes. I didn't feel anything. I kept my eyes closed expecting to feel a big change.
I opened them thinking I would be disappointed. But no, I was sitting at the dining table! With the big plate of pancakes I had for breakfast this morning in front of me! The rest of the family were seated around me. All having there own conversations. I glanced behind me to look at the clock at the top of the wall.

It was 9:15 am!  And everyone was in the clothes they were wearing this morning. I smiled and beamed around at my family. Mirabel  nudged me. "You ok y/n?" She asked politely. "Yes I am" I beamed. "I'm just excited to get my gift"

I tightly shut my eyes again. When I opened them I was back in front of my door. Abuela was beaming down at me. And papa went in for a hug. Then everyone started to clap.