xi. A Rat's Nest

nine lives.
chapter eleven.

AFTER THEY MADE A STOP ON THE WAY TO DROP OFF DONNA AND SAID THEIR GOODBYES, Agnes was now sitting on the middle seat between Jenkins and the Doctor, looking out of the window absentmindedly

"UNIT's been watching Rattigan Academy for ages. It's all a bit Hitler Youth. Exercise at dawn and classes and special diets," Jenkins told them.

The female navigation voice told him to turn left.

"Ross, one question. If UNIT thinks that ATMOS is dodgy-" The Doctor started, looking over her head at the man.

"How come we've got it in the jeeps?"

"Yeah."

Jenkins chuckled.

"Tell me about it. They're fitted as standard on all government vehicles. We can't get rid of them till we can prove there's something wrong."

Agnes hummed in thought, sounds about right for the government to do something like that.

"Drives me around the bend," Jenkins joked the second he actually turned a bend with the Jeep.

"Oh, nice one." The Doctor praised and Agnes glanced at him smiling.

"Timed that perfectly," Jenkins said.

"Yeah. Yeah, you did."

Looking ahead Agnes saw the big gothic style building that was the Rattigan Academy. The ATMOS voice informed them that they had now arrived at their final destination, just a few meters before the entrance.

The Doctor held open the door for her as they've exited the car and she thanked him quietly, eyes watching teenagers her age in red suits running around the premises of the academy. Even from this far away she immediately recognized the face of the only boy who wasn't wearing the same suit as the rest of the students, standing in the middle with his arms behind his back. His eyes stared ahead, his back turned to them as they walked towards him.

"Is it PE? I wouldn't mind a kick around, I've got my daps on." The Doctor made their presence noticeable, stopping a few meters behind the boy, who turned around at the sound of his voice.

"I suppose you're the Doctor?" Luke asked but it didn't sound like a question.

"Hello." The Doctor greeted, hands pushed deep into his trouser pockets.

Luke walked towards them, eyes focused on the Doctor, not once straying to take in Agnes or Jenkins. "Your commanding officer phoned ahead."

"Ah, but I haven't got a commanding officer. Have you?" Luke looked at him with a blank face. "Oh, this is Ross. Say hello, Ross."

The Doctor gestured towards Jenkins, who smiled politely, nodding his head in greeting.

"Good afternoon, sir."