31: The Mysterious Disappearance of Lady Lillian Adams

─── · 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

Her composure was splintering, brittle as the long and dry stems of grass that bent with the blast of a strong and persistent wind, and the only anchor that brought her stability in a ballroom full of faeborn and human alike was the consoling hand of her husband at the small of her back as he coaxed her forward.

Her voice cracked upon the utterance of her sister's name, her throat panging with a dull throb from days of stagnation and felt like the cords and tendons of her neck had been unleashed from taut bindings. But all this counted for naught as Millie lurched towards her sibling- a sister who she long perceived demised.

A sister who stood beside their formidable cousin and who met her gaze inimically. A confounding mix of joy and trepidation were overwhelming her at the sight of Lillian, though the taut line of disapproval stamped across her sister's lips were testament to how those feelings were not reciprocated, and Millie's steps faltered. Not only had she regained her voice and her sister, but she had lost a fundamental connection with the man she loved- her entire world was shifting precariously and she was inching towards the precipice of chaos with little heed or control of her faculties.

Lillian was dressed formally in a regal gown of deep sapphire, cinched tightly at her trim waist. A heavy cloak draped gracefully over her shoulders to ward off the chill of the winter air and tied closed under her chin. She shared the same colouring as Millie- identical Arctic blue eyes and ashy brown hair, yet there was differences in their height, build and overall expressions. Lillian's brows were ridged higher, arched more gracefully, and her years of tutelage ensured that the inherent proudness of her chin and jaw were ingrained within her whereas Millie was softened through years of smiles and jovial misconduct. Over four years, Lillian had changed- her eyes were colder, her skin darker and bronzed from the elements, and her form lither and thinner. Her hair seemed to be streaked with more strips of lighter gold, woven in an intricate braid that drooped over one shoulder to her hip.

One thing was for certain though, even as her appearance was shrouded in mystery, Lillian was not overjoyed to be reunited with her younger sister.

It was unnerving and Millie tentatively reached out to Blayne, seeking comfort from their silent connection, however she was met with nothing but silence and the sound of her loud, tumultuous thoughts. The sense of loss from that severance was more devastating than she'd ever conceived possible, and the lack of closeness to him rather felt as if she had lost a vital limb, but she could not dwell on it presently, resolving to tend to the matter of Theo and Lillian with as much decorum as she could muster while she was under the watchful eyes of society.

When she stood before her sister, however, her resolve exploded from her and, uncaring of the venomous look tightening her Lillian's countenance, Millie threw her arms around her shoulders in a smothering hug.

"I cannot believe it is truly you!" she cried hoarsely even as she ignored the way Lillian stiffened within her arms. "I thought you dead-"

Lillian jerked from her arms and set her aside, her brows draw together in warning. "Clearly, I am not," she said coolly.

"Clearly." Millie felt her heart stutter and clench with something akin to devastation at her sister's dismissal. The brief surge of joy that had blossomed within her began to fizzle and wane, and she tamped down her overwhelming disappointment at her sibling's abrasive reception. She mused over it- they had not seen each other in four long years, surely Lillian would be overjoyed to be reunited with her only family?