vii. Mass Cancellation

CHAPTER SEVEN

CHAPTER SEVEN.
mass cancellation

TWO MONTHS LATER

     MUCH TO HER DISMAY, Nova is still very grounded. Not as much as she was two months earlier (thank God), but she's still very much being punished for what she and Nic did all those months ago in Germany. Thankfully, her dad's lifted the Archie surveillance, but they're both still barred from going on missions, they're still under the most intense training they've ever done (despite the fact that they're not going on missions), and they both are still very much on the academic decathlon team.

But despite all of this, is it bad that Nova thinks these past two months have been the best in her life? She's completely mission free and now she has all of the free rein in the world to, for once in her life, be a completely normal teenage girl. (Who just happens to have bionic abilities.)

It's like, nothing has really changed these past two months except for the fact that she's done going on mission until further notice.

She's also been single-handedly fighting against every instinct in her body that tells her to pick up the phone that Steve gave her and to call him to make sure that he's alright. Nova knows that she shouldn't even touch it unless it's in case of some sort of a dire emergency, but it's so hard to resist picking up the phone and calling him when even the slightest thing happens.

Like, take for example, last week when Nova tripped up the stairs at school (how the actual fuck does that even happen?) during the transition period between classes and she proceeded to run into the bathroom and contemplate jumping out of the window. She wanted to call Steve then, to give him a final goodbye because she was really going to jump out of the window and end it all, then thought about how he told her that the phone was for, "If you need me, if you need us, call me. And we'll be there."

Now, she knows that he didn't outright say that it was for emergencies only, but Nova likes to think that she can read in-between the lines. After all, why would she call Captain America after tripping up the stairs in front of everyone at school? He's probably off saving the world from something again. (Albeit, now while hiding his identity. But still saving the world nonetheless.) It would be ridiculous to call him for something so small.