viii. Spider-Man, Spider-Man

CHAPTER EIGHT

CHAPTER EIGHT.
spider-man, spider-man
(does whatever a spider can)

     "NOVA PLEASE," Nic pleads, tugging on Nova's backpack as they walk out of school

Nova continues to ignore him as she walks down the steps leading up to their school with her laptop clutched tightly against her chest. She remembers how excited she was when her dad gave it to her as a surprise and how he made her promise that she wouldn't break it. Because even though he could get her a new one, it didn't necessarily mean that he would.

"Seriously, Nic," Nova groans as she keeps walking forwards. She needs to get at least a couple of blocks away before super-speeding the two of them home. "Can't you literally wait four seconds?"

He shakes his head. "No."

And Nova rolls her eyes, the school fading into the distance behind the two of them. "You wouldn't do this to Archie," she says.

"Yeah but I respect Archie. And besides, I'm hungry now. Can't we just grab something from there?" Nic points across the street at a deli.

Nova stops short and Nic bumps into her from behind. She turns around to face him and scowls. "Fine," she says finally. "You can pay for both of us then." She pulls her backpack around to her stomach, placing her laptop safely in it, and turning it back around to her back. She holds her hand out, gesturing for Nic to put money in it.

Nic rolls his eyes and pulls his backpack in front of him. Nova watches with a frown as he sticks his hand in almost comically and starts shuffling through the things in his bag. She cringes at what's probably in there. If he keeps his hand in there too long, Nova's half convinced that he'll find a black hole that the two of them will get sucked into — or a half eaten sandwich that he can eat since he claims to be so hungry right now.

     Finally, Nic pulls out a crumpled up hundred dollar bill and places it Nova's open palm. She looks down at her palm and the state that the money is in, before she looks back up at Nic and raises her eyebrows. "Wow," she says sarcastically.