5

I can't begin to describe my pain. It's a feeling like no other, nothing I can describe, just nothing. I take a deep gasp, hoping it won't be my last. I want something more.

I want Snow beside me. I want his hand in mine, his lips on mine, I want him to say he's mine. I want him to comfort me. I can't help but feel my eyes sting.

The Mage sighs, relieved.

"Is this the real life?"

God, I hope not.

"Is this just fantasy?"

What?

"Caught in a landslide, no escape from reality." That's when I realize, he's singing. Not singing, chanting. Making Bohemian Rhapsody into a long spell.

"Open your eyes, look up to the skies and see."

He continues through the song as I try desperately to hold onto what is barely mine. My life, or lack thereof, my magic.

"Carry on, carry on." I hear someone from behind him cry out. Has Ebb come back to save me?

"As if nothing– Simon!"

"Don't stop, help him." I can see the hurt on his face, the pain in his eyes. The recognition of me and the staff. The incorrect assumption of what's happened. The growing static in the air.

"Help him," he says again. "Please. He's-"

"I can't." He can't. "But... Simon. You're here." Simon can help me then?

"I can still help you."

He leaves me. He's going to Simon. I'm dying, and now he doesn't need me

"No, no. He- help Baz. Please." The Mage's bloodied hands reach for Simon.

"I can't. Oh my boy, I'm so, so so-" He stops. "Simon. It's you."

I turn my head just enough to see the face of a young boy. A young Simon. The Humdrum.

This is it. This is where Simon Snow falls.

But something... different happens. They talk. Civilly. And instead of giving the pleading Mage his powers, Snow pumps them into the Humdrum.

Until the hole is full.

I close my eyes, just to rest for a bit.