19. The End

My only left trouble laid in finances now. I was down to the bare minimum. I needed a plan of action. This month's rent was coming up, and I was out of money. I had no reply from my parents. I began to panic then, so much so, that that next night, I came to Daniel.

There was something different about him, though. Part of that was not answering the door at all when I knocked. "Daniel? Daniel. is everything alright? Listen, I'm going to come in now, alright? Do you hear me, Daniel? I'm going to come in." Still, there was no reply. I was growing even more worried. "You hear me? I'm coming in." I turned the knob slightly, surprised to find it unlocked.  I came in.

Daniel was at his desk, pen in hand, hunched over papers. He was writing something. "Daniel, why didn't you answer the door?"  He wasn't looking at me. He was still writing. He was dressed lazily in just his pants with an untucked shirt. He didn't even have a necktie on. I looked down at his feet. He had socks on, but not any shoes.

"Why did you come in, even when I didn't answer the door?"

"I was worried about you." I shut the door behind me, approaching his desk. "Who are you writing to?"

"You're sister. She had sent me a few letters."

"She had? My, you made quite an impression on her, didn't you? What did she say?"

"She told me of how her lessons are getting along and things that have happened since we left so abruptly."

I thinned my lips. "How have things been getting along?" Daniel didn't answer me. I had to ask again. 

"Just fine. She gave up on that boy she was chasing. She talks about your father as well, and how business has been very slow. Most of his 'workers' had given up on him. He's thinking of selling the land if the business gets worse, I'm afraid."

"That's outrageous. Where would they live? What would they do?"

"Your sister illustrates that Mr. Gardener has made offers for your father's help in other job fairs. That is all she said."

"What about me? Did she say anything of me?" I tried to look over his shoulder, but I was much too lazy to read over the words. I looked to Daniel instead.

"Oh, yes, how she and your parents wish your return home. They miss you very much."

"I wrote them, though. Did she say anything about that?"

Daniel was quiet again as he wrote. I grew annoyed with this and placed my hand on his shoulder. "Tell me, Daniel. Please."

"No, I'm afraid."

I groaned and stepped back. I ran my hands through my hair. "What am I to do? I have no money to my name, Daniel! I have nothing! I can't even afford this month's rent; what am I supposed to do?"

"It would seem that you are in a very tight situation," Daniel said.

"I am! Oh, Daniel, please tell me what I'm supposed to do! Should I write to my parents again? Oh, I don't even know what to say! I haven't gotten a job yet, and the rent is coming up so soon!"

Daniel put down his pen and stood up from the chair, crossing the room to his chest that was at the foot of his bed. He pulled out a case of liquor and a glass. He poured himself a drink before sitting down in his armchair. 

I watched quietly as he did so before asking if I could have some as well. "If that is what you wish," he said. I was much too stressed to hesitate. I was mad! Crazed! 

I poured myself a drink and chugged it down, wiping my mouth with my sleeve and pouring another. I walked to stand in front of Daniel, who had pulled out another book and was reading.