Chapitre 16

The party has begun for hours now.  Tanya was sitting at the table. As Yangcha had said, this party was noisy and people were drunk. Taealha was chatting in a corner of the room with Hae Tuak. Saya was talking to a group of people while Tagon was drinking with his men. He staggered from one group to another, toasting his next victory. Some of the warriors were dancing to the rhythm of the drums and the notes of the gayageum, cheering Tagon on. Tanya, on the other hand, was alone and bored. Tired, she got up for leaving the room. She made her way through the crowd when Tagon stood in front of her.

- Where are you going, Tanya?

- I'm going to my room. I'm tired.

- The party's just getting started though.

He stared at her with a surprisingly keen eye for a man who had drunk so much.

- Dance with me Niruha, he said, bowing slightly.

In spite of the tone enjoyer of his voice, Tanya understood that it wasn't a proposal. He did not wait for her answer. He straightened up, grabbed her wrist and drew her towards him with brutality. He put his hand in his back and tightened his hand in his.

- You do not have fun? he asked always on the same sweet tone.

- Not really.

- I heard you were preventing my guards from doing their job...

The tone of his voice had sharpened.

- I beg your pardon?

- Don't play dumb with me! You know exactly what I'm talking about.

He spun her around and pulled her back to him, tightening his grip on her waist.

- Perhaps you should reconsider your tax system. You're starving your people

- That's not for you to judge!

- They are my people too now.

- That doesn't give you the right to discredit me.

Tagon came close to her ear and whispered:

- Do not play with me Tanya. It is you who will lose. In any case.

He moved away and looked at her. She supported his glance without flinching. Then he moved away from her, grabbed her arm and raised it, turning to the crowd.

- Give me your attention my friends!

Everyone turned to him and silence fell in the room.

- I announce the marriage of Tanya Niruha. Her hand will be given to my best warrior!

She felt her heart freeze in her chest. She turned to Tagon, dumbfounded. She heard the crowd shout with joy. She saw arms raised and faces flushed with excitement. She saw Yangcha, whose bewildered eyes went from Tagon to her. Tanya turned back to Tagon, frowned and tried to pull her arm free. She felt his hand tighten around her wrist. He leaned toward her.

- I wouldn't recommend doing that.

He pointed with a slight movement of his head the corner of the room. She followed his gaze and saw Taealha with her hand on Doti's shoulder. Tanya felt like she was suffocating. She let out a hiccup of surprise. She looked up at Tagon who was looking at her with an amused expression.

- I told you not to provoke me," he whispered.

He turned to his men.

- Who is interested?

The silence fell again. The men stared at her a moment, undressed her with their eyes. Then some of them raised their glasses, shouting "me!" "Me!". Tanya felt tears of rage stinging her eyes. She fluttered her eyelashes while sweeping her eyes over the dozens of ruddy faces.

- Gitoha ?

She look at him. The Daekan hesitated for a moment, then bowed to them.

- I would be honored Tagon Niruha!

- Here, make her dance!

Tagon pulled her towards Gitoha. She found herself only a few centimeters from the soldier. He smiled at her and put his hands on her. Tanya took a step back and glared at him.

- I forbid you to put your hand on me!

Gitoha stood still, disconcerted. She felt humiliated. She couldn't stand the looks of these men on her anymore. She moved with a determined step towards the exit. The Daekans moved aside as she passed. She tried to remain dignified, her head held high, her eyes fixed, but she could feel the tears coming.  When she was finally in the hallway, she let the tears spill down her cheeks. She felt trapped, powerless and more than ever Tagon's toy. She had no power. What had she imagined?