Chapitre 184 - Family

LAND EAST OF JOSEON

EUNSEOM

After travelling to Doldambul and the Great White Peak Mountain region, Eunseom visited the villages around Hasi Mountain. Before him finally appeared their last destination before heading to Agoha Forest: Jubinol.

The villagers had come out and were waiting for him in the square. When he arrived, they all bowed to him, almost placing their foreheads on the ground. This attitude always made him uncomfortable, as it was something he had never asked of the Agos. He immediately invited them to stand up and reminded them that a more sober bow suited him just as well.

- We've come to give you provisions for the winter. The royal physician and priestess, Chae-eun, is also here if you need treatment or wish to address a prayer to the gods. Please form two lines, one in front of me to collect your basket and one in front of Chae-eun for prayers and to report any health problems. She'll come by tomorrow for treatment.

The villagers organised themselves into two separate lines, one in front of him and the other in front of Chae-eun. With the help of Dalsae and Yong, he distributed the food baskets. People thanked him warmly and their gratitude gave him the courage he needed to carry out his mission. Finally, in the two and a half years he had spent as King, he had to admit that he was enjoying himself. Racking his brains looking for a solution to improve people's daily lives tickled his heart. Every time he came up with one, he felt a shiver run up the back of his neck and down his spine. There was even something almost pleasurable about being able to do all the things he had been forbidden to do in Iark: ride horses, plant seeds and develop agriculture, make homes more comfortable. Although stressful and sometimes burdensome, the daily life of a king was often exhilarating.

Beside him, he saw people entrusting Chae-eun with offerings for the Great Shrine. Many were also asking for news of their High Priestess. The people of Arthdal had a boundless adoration for Tanya and he had always admired her for it. 

The day passed quickly. With the sun already waning and its rays struggling to cross the mountains, Eunseom ordered the carts to be taken to safety. People immediately offered them board and lodging, and they spent their first night in Jubinol.

CHAE-EUN

The sun had barely risen when Chae-eun finished preparing her equipment. She opened the doors of the barn and gasped at the dozen people who had already gathered outside the makeshift hospital. It was going to be a long day. She smiled and invited the first patient in. People came to see her for all sorts of ailments: back pain, cuts, headaches, stomach aches and much more, so the morning passed quickly. She was getting tired and the patients were coming one after the other without giving her a break, and seeing the number of people still to be treated, she feared she wouldn't have time to see them all before leaving. She finished bandaging a child's wound and leaned back in her seat, closing her eyes to enjoy the warmth of the sun's rays on her face.

She heard footsteps and wearily opened her eyes to greet her next patient, but the man in front of her was not from Jubinol.

- Do you need any help?" Yong asked, handing her a glass of water.

She took a sip and put the glass down, shaking her head.

- I'm fine, thanks," she replied, motioning for the next patient to join her but the length of the queue stretching out before her eyes discouraged her. "Maybe, I need some help after all. What can you do?"

- I don't know, tell me and we'll see," Yong said as he sat down next to her.

A man stood in front of her. He undid the bandage he'd made himself and showed her a horrible wound on his arm that hadn't healed properly and was infected. Chae-eun showed no sign of worry and examined the wound.