Chapitre 22

His eyes fell on Eunseom. He looked at him for a moment and then looked back at her. She didn't dare to move or even breathe. She was scrutinizing his every move. He looked down at Eunseom again and his eyes darkened. He drew his sword from his belt and charged at Eunseom. Tanya rushed to the bed. Yangcha's arm rose to strike. She stepped in and raised her hands to him.

- No

He interrupted his gesture, his blade suspended above the head of Tanya. She caught his glance and supported him with all the hardness of which she was capable. He looked away and stared at Eunseom. Tanya did not understand why Yangcha had such hatred for him.

Step aside.

- No.

He tried to go around her, but she followed him, preventing him from reaching Eunseom. Yangcha watched her, hesitant. Tanya felt her pulse quicken. She knew that she had held his attention, but she felt that he was not yet convinced. She saw him tighten his grip around his sword, his gaze fixed on Eunseom.

- If you want to kill him, you'll have to kill me first.

Yangcha raised his eyebrows and looked at her. There was something strange in his eyes, something she didn't know how to interpret.

It won't be hard for me to get you out of the way without killing you.

- Well, go ahead then," she challenged him in a firm tone.

Yangcha stared at her, his eyebrows furrowed. His whole body was tense, ready to jump. Then suddenly, against all odds, he lowered his arm, resigned. Relieved, the tension in her body relaxed. She took a deep breath. She looked up at him. He looked at her sullenly, then glanced at Eunseom.

I have to tell Tagon.

He turned away and left the room. It took Tanya a few seconds to realize that Eunseom was in danger again. When she pulled herself together, Yangcha had disappeared. She rushed out of the room and ran to join the Daekan.

-------------------------------

Yangcha was feverish. And angry. He wanted to see this Igutu die. He wanted to kill him with his own hands. He was angry at himself for not being able to get rid of Tanya, for giving in to her blackmail. He knew he could have immobilized her without hurting her, but he hadn't had the courage to use force to compel her. That she had put her life in danger for this Igutu irritated him.

- Yangcha

He stubbornly refused to turn towards her. He walked faster, but she grabbed his arm.

- Don't do that. Please don't do this.

He turned to her.

- Please don't do this. He hasn't done anything wrong.

He is the leader of the Ago Tribe. He is our enemy.

She clutched his arm with the force of desperation. He couldn't stand her supplications. He couldn't stand her looking at him with those imploring eyes.

- He would never have become one if Arthdal had left us alone in Iark, if Tagon had not made us slaves.

He advanced a hand towards her. He hesitated, then put it Tanya's hands. He was torn between the hatred he felt for this Igutu, his loyalty to Tagon and the remorse he felt when he saw Tanya's pain. He was angry too: that she stayed all this time at Eunseom's side and that she never came to see him. He pressed gently his hands so that she let go of his arm. She was holding on so tightly to him that he was afraid of hurting her. She loosened her embrace and let fall her hands along his body. He did not expect her to let go so easily. He raised the eyes towards her and met her glance. She looked at him in a singular way. A strange look that he had already seen several times and that he could not unraveled. He blinked, embarrassed. As she was still and no longer seemed to be an obstacle, he turned away from her and took the opportunity to walk away before she begged him again to spare her friend. Tagon would be more than happy to get his hands on Ago's leader. Yangcha slowed down. And Tanya? What will happen to her? Tagon will know that she has protected an enemy. That's treason. He won't let it go and will punish her. How ? By marrying her ? He didn't like that idea at all. Or worse, by killing her? Tagon won't have a better occasion. Yangcha felt his heart clench. Who would he put in her place? He still needed her. Would he dare to torture her? He tried to push the thought away from his mind and stand firm in his decision. If he told Tagon about his discovery, Tanya would suffer the consequences too. He could feel his resolve crumbling as he went along. He found himself in front of the doors of Tagon's room faster than he would have liked. He reached out, but hesitated to knock. He had to pull himself together. What could happen to Tanya was not his concern. Only Tagon mattered. No one else. He took a deep breath and gathered what courage he had left to knock.