Chapitre 95

CHAE-EUN

Her assailant led her effortlessly into a small barn, barely lit by the lantern that hung on the wall. Tears streamed down her cheeks and blurred her vision. What was to be done to her? Her attacker removed his hand. She took a deep breath to catch her breath. She could feel her attacker's presence, but he was strangely aloof.

- I'm sorry, Chae-eun. I didn't mean to scare you.

Her heart leapt in her chest when she recognized the voice that had addressed her. She slowly turned to face the person standing inches away from her.

- Nunbyeol..., she whispered, her eyes wide.

- I missed you!

A multitude of emotions were intertwined within her: fear, joy, relief, anger, but when her sister approached her, she instinctively took her in her arms and held her close.

- I've missed you so much," she whispered. Let me look at you," she said and stepped aside.

Nunbyeol hadn't changed much. Her long hair was tied in a long braid that rested on her shoulder. She was dressed in a long grey dress and a long cloak, the hood of which she had pulled down over her head to hide her Neanthal eyes from the world: an azure blue that glowed in the darkness of the barn. It was the only thing that betrayed her true nature. However, the Nunbyeol in front of her was not the same as the one she had left a few years earlier. Her aura was different. She seemed more confident, more peaceful, more fulfilled. A smile lit up her pale face. Then suddenly, concern assailed Chae-eun.

- You shouldn't be here! It's not safe.

- Don't worry. I'm careful and I didn't come alone.

- Are there others with you?

- Of course there are.

- Where have you been all this time?" asked Chae-eun, curious.

- In the Atturad forest. Everyone thinks the Neanthals are dead. We move around a lot to avoid being spottet but we are not chased anymore and we are not in danger anymore.

- We?" Chae-eun asked. How many of you are there?

- More than you think. The survivors were lone travellers, but now there are a few dozen of us. A small tribe," Nunbyeol added with a smile.

- Are you happy?

- Yes," Nunbyeol answered without hesitation.

- Why did you come here then?" asked Chae-eun, raising her eyebrows.

- Couldn't I come to see my sister?

- And take all these risks? I'd rather know you're safe.

- I didn't come here just to see you. It's to see Tanya too.

Chae-eun raised her eyebrows in surprise, but waited for Nunbyeol to explain herself.

- I met a strange person about a year ago.

- Who ?

- I don't know, but he keeps repeating five names: Taealha, Eunseom, Tanya, Tagon and Saya. I don't know where Eunseom is. I don't see myself talking to Tagon and Taealha. So that leaves Tanya and she was easy to find.

- Taealha is dead.

There was surprise on Nunbyeol's face, then satisfaction.

- I won't regret her death," said Nunbyul.

- Where do you sleep in Arthdal?

- In our old house. It's derelict.

- Very well, stay there and I'll come back to see you as soon as I can,' Chae-eun assured.