Prologue

It was very late at night, the night Mirabel didn't get her gift. No one was awake but one person. Bruno stood at his 7 year old son's door, clutching a piece of paper in his left hand. He reached out his right hand and touched the doorknob. He froze. He had second thoughts, but he knew he couldn't take Oscar with him. So he took a deep breath and opened the door.

Bruno stepped into the room seeing the big dimly lit room with a big table on the side with pencils, paint brushes, chalk and other things to draw with. And he saw some of Oscar's creations sleeping on the floor, Bruno walked cautiously and quietly to get to Oscar's bed without waking any of them up. One of Oscar's creations did wake up but Bruno didn't notice, it was a cat. The cat saw that it was Bruno who walked in the room. The cat paid no mind to it and went back to sleep.

Bruno got to Oscar's bed side, he gently sat on the bed and looked down at the peaceful sleeping boy with sadness in his eyes. He really didn't want to do this, but he felt like he had no choice . He placed the paper on Oscar's night stand, he looked down at Oscar again, he brushed some of his curls out of his face and started to cry.

"I'm sorry Oscar.... please forgive me.." Bruno whispered.

He placed a soft gentle kiss on his forehead, and gently got up and whispered "I'll miss you."

Then he quietly walked towards the door leaving without saying goodbye to anyone else.

←→←→←→←→←→←→

The sun shines onto the young boy's eyes making them flutter open. He yawns with a big stretch hitting his night stand. He does that every morning, except this time he felt something on his nightstand. He saw a paper.

"What the?" Oscar said, wondering how it got there.

He got down from his bed and picked up the paper. On the other side of the paper it had writing. It said:

←→

Dear Oscar, I hope you read this when you wake up, I'm sorry I couldn't tell you this in person...

I have left. I had to leave because people hated me. My gift was useless for this family, but I love everyone so much. I'm sorry Oscar, I'm so sorry I'm leaving you alone but I'm sure tu tía Julieta e tu tía Pepa will take good care of you. Because where I am going I don't think I could, so it would be best if you stayed here.

Please make sure to also take good care of yourself, ask Julieta or Pepa if you need anything, I'm sure they will help.

I will always love you, remember that. Wherever I may be I will always love you.

-Tu Papa, Bruno

←→

Oscar stared at the note, his eyes started to water. "He couldn't have really left." He thought.

"Right, he would never leave you.. Right?.." Oscar whispered to himself.

In disbelief he bolted out of his room, clutching the paper in his hand he ran down stairs to see if he was down there. He only saw his tía Julieta making breakfast, his eyes were watering and his tía noticed right away.

"Oscar what's wrong!?" Julieta panicked seeing the boy crying.

"I- " He choked "Papa he-" He couldn't get the words out.

Then he remembered. His room, to see if he actually left. Oscar ran up the stairs with his tía Julieta following him very confused. He went to Bruno's door just to see it's bight yellow color now dull. That's it. He really left. Oscar started sobbing, his tía very confused at this point seeing her brother Bruno's door not glowing.

"Oscar, please tell me what's going on." Julieta said in a soft voice.

"Papa... he left." Oscar whimpered.

"Bruno left?.." Julieta said in a sad and surprised tone.

Oscar ran into Julieta's arms and started sobbing. They both were crying. "He really left..." Julieta thought.