Chapter 3

"You two are so in love you can't be apart for one day?" Rosita teased as Daryl and I walked up to her at the front gate.

I laughed and saw Daryl roll his eyes beside me.

"Daryl insisted on coming with us..." I said, trailing off.

"Who would have thought?" Rosita said.

The ride to the area where the pharmacy was located at was about an hour's drive from Alexandria. When we got there, I was happy to see that the chain Rick had tied to the front doors was still untouched. Hopefully that meant no one had been here and there would be lots for us to loot around here.

After parking a little ways away, we grabbed our weapons and quickly made our way to the door. I surveilled the area and listened for signs of walkers. Last time we had been here, we were ambushed by a big pack of them and we almost lost Rick. 

Rosita and I stood on lookout while Daryl unwrapped the chains, and then we were in the building.

"Let's split up," Rosita said and looked at me. "We'll check through the pharmacy again."

"I'll check out upstairs," Daryl said.

"Be careful," I said to Daryl. We both stared at each other for a brief moment before he nodded and then left to go upstairs.

"You two are so cute it's disgusting," Rosita said. I elbowed her and we both smiled. Over the past couple months, Rosita and I had grown even closer, and she had become one of my closest friends here. 

We walked into the pharmacy and started going through the aisles.

I knelt down and saw some medicine that was on the bottom shelf in the back. "I think some stuff fell to the bottom in the back," I said. Rosita knelt down beside me and we looked to see what was there.

We were both so focused on reaching what was stuck in the back that we weren't paying attention to our surroundings.

Suddenly, I heard a creak in the floor behind us and both Rosita and I jumped up and turned around to see a man standing in the doorway of the store, just a couple meters away from us.

The initial shock on his face faded and he quickly started to raise his gun. I reacted fast, lunging at him and grabbing his arm, pushing it up in the air and pointing the gun towards the ceiling. The gun fired and a bullet shot into the ceiling. The man's other hand that was free grabbed my long hair and I yelped as he yanked it back. I struggled to hang onto his arm and fought to keep him from turning the gun on us.

"Please, don't do this," I gasped as we fought with the gun. "We're good people," I said, desperate. Our eyes locked for a moment, and I could feel the slight release in his arm. He was going to stop fighting me and lower the gun.

We were still for a second, and then the sound of a gunshot went off. I jumped away from the man in shock as blood splattered on me and his body collapsed to the ground.

I turned to face Rosita in shock as she slowly lowered her gun. It was quiet except for the sound of both of us panting.

I understood why she had done that. It was hard to take chances nowadays. But I really thought I had gotten through to him. He had been lowering his gun. We didn't need to shoot him.

"Think he was alone?" Rosita asked.

"Nope," a deep voice said. Rosita's gaze adjusted over my shoulder and her eyes went wide. She quickly raised her gun, but before I could react or she could shoot, an arm snaked around my waist and I felt the cold, sharp blade of a knife against my neck.