A WOMAN'S LUST FOR REDEMPTION

' Since you've told me about all the do's and don'ts about the job, which I already learnt about at school by the way. Can I ask a personal question if you don't mind? ' He finally asked what he'd been itching to ask.

' Sure, why not? Burst the bubble lieutenant.' I replied.

' How's your religious status? I mean, you wear a rosary and you got one in your car and I... ummm accidentally saw one in your drawer back in the office. You don't have to answer it if you're not comfortable with it.' He asked.

I slow the car down a bit so I don't have to pay all my attention to the road.

' I don't believe in God. I don't believe in any God. But I do believe in what he teaches and what he stands for. And I respect that. I respect people who believe in him. Do you believe in him lieutenant?'

' Yes ma'am. I'm Catholic'

' My husband, he was a believer too. So I keep all his religious stuff around. To give my son a good role model, a person he can trust. Any more questions?'

' Wow, I didn't expect you to say all of that.'

' You were going to ask me about the rest eventually.'

' And how the hell did you know that?' He laughed.

' I'm a detective, lieutenant.' I smiled back at him.
' Save your next question for later. The suspects reached his destination.'

' Should we call for backup?' He asked.

' No, that'll ruin the whole purpose of what we're doing.' I replied as I prepared my firearm, keeping my eyes locked on the suspect.

God knew how much I needed to prove them wrong. A woman. A woman can do it too. I can hold the gun, show the badge, wear the coat during summer, lead a team and still be a caring single mother. I can serve justice. God knew how much I needed this.
We got out of the car and slowly approached the innocent looking house. With a lorry parked right in front of it.

' Isn't that truck supposed to be in a carpark captain? Especially at this time of night. Very suspicious...' Said the lieutenant.

' No shit.'

' Look, he's getting into his car. He's following the truck!'

' Would you keep your fucking voice down! I can fucking see what's happening!' I replied.

' Wait for them to leave. We're going to have a look at the house.' I added.

' But the suspect's getting away, captain.'

' It's not the time for playing cops and robbers.'

' This is the closest we've been to him.'

' If you've forgotten who's in charge here then you don't deserve that badge, lieutenant.' I replied.

As we were about to make a move for the house, a wagon zoomed past us. It was heading in the same direction as the suspect.

' Ignore it.' I told the lieutenant.

We reached the house as silent as possible. Hearing screams and arguing, I only trusted my instinct and threw myself in there. A rookie mistake? It's debatable. I had my pistol straight in front of me, like a priest during an exorcism. The two men surrounded by drugs stopped and looked at me in shock.

' I should've known that Johnny had unwanted stalkers. Hahahaha.' As he pulled out a gun from his jacket.

The other man was silent and slowly removed his gun. He didn't want any of this to happen. I could tell.

' Victor Van Oslow, you are under arrest. I know you like playing cat and mouse with me, but I'm done playing.' I said as I pointed my gun at him.