Shadow of Pluto - 8 - Asami

Asami had not really expected Fei Long to actually take his hand, and therefore was not surprised that the Chinese snatched his fingers away the second he had stood up. There was puzzlement on his face, which seemed as if he did not know himself why he had even accepted the gesture.

His expression of confusion was only topped by the one on Maxim's face, when he approached. With a gaze that flitted back and forth from his younger brother to the Chinese, the car, the driver who was getting out now as well, Maxim started to nod in politeness. All that motion, however, made it seem like his head had become somewhat loose from his neck.

"I need you to explain, Ryuichi", he stated quietly, still trying to maintain grace and courtesy facing his sudden and unexpected guests.

"First things first", Asami answered in glee. "This is my half-brother Maxim", he flicked one lazy thumb at the older, then raised his palm towards the man next to him. "And this is Fei Long Liu."

It was hard to say, which of both looked more bewildered. Fei Long blinked a few times with his long lashes and his eyes became as round as Asami had not seen them for seven years. But then the spell was broken. He jerked, then extended his hand to greet the other man – western style. Maxim, meanwhile, just googled at the other, unmoving for a long moment. Even when he grabbed the other man's hand, he seemed to do so because of pure instinct. Only after that, he suddenly turned pale, spun around to his younger brother and grabbed him at the arm.

"Please excuse us", Maxim smiled at Fei Long, hissing the apology through his teeth as politely as he could. He dragged Asami away for a few steps, then turned his back to his guests.

"Is this a joke? Are you playing some game on me? You can't bring the head of Baishe here! Are you mad?"

Asami seized his brother's hand and tore it off his arm with a defiant grin. "You said to find another way. You thought about getting help", he snarled at the other, then turned back around towards the car and Maxim did have no choice but to do so himself. In an instant, his most hospitable smile formed on his lips and he nodded towards Fei Long, who still stood there, beholding the two men, who had so many facial features in common.

"Ah yes!", Asami suddenly exclaimed, pointing beyond the car. "And that is Mikhail Arbatov."

"Hey!", the Russian said, and raised one hand to wave at them. He had put on an annoying smile, which usually only stung Asami, but at this very moment, he was really pleased to see it.

His brother – who definitely knew the blonde by his name as well – wheezed at his side, as if he desperately needed to take a break.

Asami led the man he had asked to come here – and the other one who had come along for whatever reason – into a living room which provided a bar, several wing chairs and a fireplace that seemed somewhat improper regarding the usual high temperatures of Dubrovnik. His brother trailed along after them, accepted the glass of red wine Asami pushed into his hand without any objections, and sipped on it right away.

Maxim seemed rather shocked, and Asami wished he could enjoy it. But there was no delight in him, nor was there any real wish inside him, apart from the one to have Akihito back in his arms.

When a burning suddenly blazed through his chest, he swallowed a large gulp of wine to drown it. It hardly helped, but for the moment it had to suffice.

"I am sorry if we are imposing", Fei Long turned towards Maxim. The other wanted to reply something, but Asami interrupted.

"No need to apologize. You are here on my invitation. This is my home as well. Maxim only tends to forget that, whenever it suits him."