One 🍓

When my dad died, the Eastman family molded themselves into this picture perfect family. They were the kindest people in a tough time, sending us all the good sympathy foods in those tin containers so we wouldn't have to worry about returning the tupperware. The funeral potatoes were a little salty.

But, when everyone else gave me sorry looks and sad eyes, Natalie actually cared. At eight and nine we would go to her house and play barbies just about everyday, so often I'm sure they were tired of scissoring. At thirteen she would come over with her prescription of Adderall and we'd share OC's.

When I overdosed I thought that no one would care but my family. Like always, Nat proved me wrong. Every Wednesday a nurse would hand me a purple envelope. Every Wednesday for two months she sent me a letter decorated with cat stickers that talked about what was going on back home. Nate and Maddy broke up again, Cassie likes Mckay, her and Lexi went shopping the other day, dinner with Nate's parents went well, Fez misses me. Everything I needed to know to stay in the loop.

Natalie's a good friend.

-

    Blue skies and eighty nine degrees in East Highland today.

Rue's house looks no different with or without Rue in it, Natalie noted, same shutters, same green siding, same number of cars. Rue's ever home anyway, why would she be? It's not like she has some blonde girl sitting on the curb waiting for her arrival.

Thirteen minutes passed and Natalie watched as six cars came and went before Rue finally arrived, plopping down next to her with a joint in her hand.

"Hey Rue, where've you been?" Natalie asked, head perking up at the sight of her friend.

In all honesty, Natalie knew Rue was either out getting drugs, or doing drugs. She didn't look rebirthed or refreshed, she looked the same as she has since thirteen. Drugged up, but only slightly.

"Rehab." Rue didn't even look at Natalie, just taking a hit and staring at the blue house in front of them. The Johnsons have two kids. A Boy and a Girl, a dog too.

"Yeah." Nat leaned down and hung her head in between her legs. "You get my letters?"

"Mhm," Rue smooshed the end of her joint on the pavement. She looked over to Natalie and adjusted the bow in her hair. Natalie looked up at her and smiled weakly. She missed Rue a lot, and now that the entire town knows what's going on with her, Natalie's parents don't want them to 'hang around' anymore.

"Thank you for those, Natalie. Made my Wednesday." Rue gave her a tight smile, but she was being honest. Natalie is always there for her.

"I'm clean right now. Besides Adderall. My parents are making me take the PSATS again this year, so I have to study." Nat huffed, standing up and offering a hand to Rue.

"Isn't that just for like, Underclassmen? We're Juniors now Nat, your parents seriously need to lighten up." They headed to the entrance of the neighborhood, arms swinging as they treaded down the sidewalk.

"I know! They're horny for college board. I've been studying since our vacation to New Mexico. By the way, this dude at the resort kept trying to get with me. Even with Nate right there! Dude was like twenty five- at least. Nate went batshit and tried to assault him when we saw him down at the pool after."

In Rue's eyes, Natalie is perfect. Everything about her from the way she acts to how she can expertly cut drugs. Rue just wishes that Nat could finally shake Nate off. Since his growth spurt in eighth grade, his anger issues have gotten the worst of him, and what better punching bag than pretty little Natalie?