The School Master's Riddle

_______________________________1 month laterAgatha's POV -

1 month later
Agatha's POV -

As the two schools slept, two heads surfaced outside in the black moat. Sophie and Agatha peeped out at the thin silver tower that divided lake from sludge. Too far to swim. To high to climb. A cyclone of fairies guarded its spire, while an army of wolves with crossbows manned wooden planks at its base.

"And you're sure he's up here?" Sophie said.

"I saw him."

"He has to help us! I can't go back to that place!" Sophie whined, pointing to the malicious school with black, jagged spires that ripped through thunder clouds.

"We have to go back! For Y/N! We just beg him for mercy until he sends us home," Agatha hissed.

"Because that'll work," Sophie snorted. "Y/N is fine, she always is. Just leave the School Master to me."
_______________________________

For the next two hours, the two girls had decided on every single way to to escape. That was, before they scrapped it off their lists because the two of them couldn't agree on anything- leaving them with only one option.

The School Master's tower- right back to step one, great!

A short while later, they were back in the Blue Forest, caked in sludge, eyeing a nest of big black eggs from behind a periwinkle bush. In front of the nest, five skeleton stympths slept on indigo grass, littered with blood and limbs of a half-eaten goat.

Sophie scowled. "I'm back where I started, covered in smelly ooze and who knows how many flesh-eating maggots and- what are you doing!"

"As soon as they attack, we jump on."

"As soon as they what?"

But Agatha was already tiptoeing to the eggs.

As Agatha inched towards the nest, she caught a closer look at the sleeping stympths' jagged teeth, gnarled talons, and spiked tails that shred flesh to bone. Suddenly doubting her plan, Agatha backed up, only to trip on a branch and fall on a goat leg with a loud crack. The stympths opened their eyes. Her heart stopped

Unless a villain wakes them up.

The pink dress wouldn't fool them.

Agatha glowered at the awakening friends. She couldn't give up now! Not when she had Sophie willing to go home! She lunged for a nest, snatched an egg, sprang up for the blitz-

"Can't watch, can't watch-" Sophie mewled, squinting through fingers for spewing limbs and blood.

But the vicious birds were nuzzling Agatha, like puppies seeking milk.

"Ohh, that tickles!" She squealed. Sophie folded her arms.

Clumping back, Agatha handed the egg to her. "Your turn."