Wisdom from a Dragon(8)

Wendy dashed over to Natsu, he was asleep. She sighed with relief, and pushed her sweaty bangs off her forehead. She glanced towards Lucy's room, and back to Natsu, quickly scanning over him to asses the status of his wounds. They were gone, or rather vanishing as Wendy watched in awe. Like a snake, the burns slowly healed, starting from his right side and gliding upwards. The pain evident in Natsu's features relaxed and his breathing slowed to a steady rasp. Wendy set her trembling hands in her lap to steady them as she sat next to Natsu and waited for him to wake. Her mind was working frantically; about the three strange occurrences that had occurred since the strange child had first appeared.

One; the mysterious fire that had burned the guild nearly to the ground.

Two; the spell that had rendered Natsu, one of the foremost wizards in the guild, unconscious.

Three; her lack of smell.

Wendy twisted one of her darkblue pigtails around her finger as she pondered the last. She thought deeply about why this could be, and a flashback of her time with Grandeeney -just before she had disappeared seven years prior, when Wendy was only five years old- surfaced in her mind. Wendy felt a smile surface on her lips at the pleasant memory of the time they had spent together.

"Listen, Wendy. Tell me what you see when you look at me. I am blue like the sky and covered in scales, right? Wendy, close your eyes, breathe deeply for a moment. Can you smell that? I smell like the endless sky, and the sun that warms my scales. Wendy, remember this, every living thing, has a scent, unique to it. Tell me Wendy, what do you smell, what do I smell like to you?"

"You smell like..."

"Kindness, Grandeeney." Wendy felt a tear slip down her cheek and gently brushed it away, the clear droplet clung to her finger, and dropped, sparkling in the sunlight that slanted in through the window, bathing her face in warmth.

Wendy clenched her hands into fists and stood, turning towards the door, the presence of the immediate danger to Lucy, who was still wounded and unconscious in her room was the most pressing issue at hand, no matter how much Grandeeney occupied Wendy's thoughts. Her hand quickly searched her pockets for the magic lacrima, the older wizards at the guild had always insisted that she carry incase she encountered something she couldn't handle.

Wendy pressed it close to her lips and whispered the incantation to activate it, and hurriedly sent a message to the other guild members. She tucked the lacrima back into her skirt, and placed her hand on the door to push it open...