ThunderStorm

Hehe, I'm so evil. And I don't even care. Y'all are gonna hate me by the time you finish this chapter.

***

'Heather?' Oakley spoke into her watch for the twenty-seventh time.

'Oakley?' She heard.

'Oh, thank Thor. I've been trying to figure this thing out for almost an hour.' She sighed in relief.

Heather giggled.

'What's up?'

'I don't know what I'm supposed to wear... What do people wear to the movies?' Oakley wondered.

'Keep it simple." She advised. 'You're going to be sitting for a long time, so make sure you're comfortable, I suggest leggings instead of jeans.' She added. 'Now, your shirt should be the same color as your favorite icee flavor.'

'What? Why?'

'In case you spill.'

'Okay so strawberry. Red?'

'Perfect. Pair it with the red converse you were wearing on Tuesday and don't forget the leather jacket hanging on the back of your door.'

'Thanks, Heather.' Oakley exhaled. 'I owe you.'

'Actually...' Heather thought. 'Ditch the jacket.'

'Why?'

'Trust me.'

***

Oakley stood in the parking lot, waiting impatiently for Astrid to show up. She said she was almost there, so Oakley took the initiative to wait for her outside. The outfit she chose was a pair of black leggings with a red long-sleeved top that hung over one shoulder. Her hair was up in the same high ponytail she always wore but had been styled to look wavy rather than straight, with a brown band around her head, tucked under her bangs which nicely covered her left eye as they always did.

Before she knew it, Astrid came around the corner in her mother's car, wearing a similar outfit, Black leggings, a deep blue shirt that hung off both shoulders, a brown unzipped hoodie, that was draping down her arms, and her regular braid over her shoulder, with the same leather band as Oakley. She gestured for Oakley to hop into the passenger seat and they drove off.

"So, you wear a kransen too?" Astrid wondered as she drove down the street.

"Yeah. It was my mom's. She loved it." Oakley admitted.

"So, why didn't you go back to your mom?" Astrid wondered. "Sorry. Never mind." She realized.

"No, it's okay," Oakley assured. "But actually, my mom was killed on the day I was taken."

"Oh, Oak. I'm so sorry. I didn't-"

"It's okay. I actually don't mind talking about it anymore." The brunette clarified.

"So, can I ask what happened?" Astrid mumbled hesitantly.

"It was the night of my 4th birthday. My mom was tucking me into bed and someone broke in. He wanted me. My mom was just the thing in his way, so he took her out of the picture." She explained. "It haunted me for years. I couldn't unsee it. I guess you never really get over those nightmares."

"Wow. I can't believe you're still standing." Astrid thought.

"I'm not much of a sleeper anyway. I pretty much just stay awake for days until my body gives up. I guess I'm starting to come to terms with it." She admitted. "No use crying over things you can't change, right?"

"So, when was the last time you slept?!"

"I don't know. Tuesday?" She shrugged.

***