Birthday Girl

***

"Oak, are you nearly ready?" Astrid called from the living room of Oakley's apartment. 

"Yeah, I'm coming." The brunette emerged from her room in a brown skirt that was significantly shorter on the right than it was on the left, dark grey leggings and a deep red hoodie that Astrid had forgotten she'd left there. Her wavy hair was flowing down to her hips. Astrid just stopped and stared. Oakley waved her hand around in front of her. "You still with us?" 

"I- uh..." She hesitated.

"Astrid, if it's gonna be that difficult for you to get out a full sentence then maybe I should just tie it up?" Oakley teased, heading towards the mirror and scooping her hair into her hands. The blonde snuck up behind her and pulled her arms back down.

"Don't even think about it." She glared. Her arms snaked over Oakley's shoulder as they rocked from side to side. Oakley leaned back into Astrid, resting her head against her chest, and humming contently. "Oak, what is this?" Astrid asked, rather out of the blue. "Us. I mean, are we a couple? I-Is that what this is?" Oakley spun around as Astrid slid her arms down until their hands met and joined together.

"You're asking me?" Oakley rose her brow.

"Well, do you want to be?"

Oakley just smiled, pulling Astrid close and planting a kiss on her lips. 

"I'll take that as a yes?" Astrid thought, pulling Oakley back into the kiss and lifting her off the ground, earning a squeal of surprise. Oakley kicked her legs playfully until Astrid finally brought her back down to earth. Only to find themselves standing in a puddle of rose petals. "Did you figure out what the trigger is yet?"

"I think I'm starting to."

Astrid twirled her around until they were both facing the mirror again. Oakley blew on her bangs in an attempt to get them out of her way. Astrid chuckled and started braiding a small braid on the side of her head, before planting a kiss on her cheek, leaving a trail all the way down to her neck and just hovering for a moment or two more. Oakley just rested her head back against Astrid's shoulder. 

"Oak..." Astrid whispered. The brunette spun around. "I know you don't like celebrating your birthday, but..." Astrid pulled a small box out of her pocket. "I- I wanted to get you something."

"Astrid, you didn't need to get me anything."

"I know. But, it didn't feel right." She explained. "I wanted to make sure you got something." Oakley smiled and opened the small box to find;

"A locket?" 

"You said you liked Heather's one so, I got you your very own." 

"Always." Oakley read the engraving over a snowflake decal. Astrid bit her lip in anticipation. 

"Open it." Oakley did as told to find the only picture that she and Astrid had ever taken together. Both had their tongues stuck out, Oakley's red and Astrid's blue. 

"Our not a date." Oakley giggled.

"Oh, who are we kidding? It was totally a date." Astrid sighed in defeat.

"And the best date in the history of best dates ever." Oakley nodded playfully. Astrid just giggled and blushed. Oakley spun around, holding her hair up to allow Astrid to put the necklace on her.

Knock knock.

Both girls jumped apart, instinctively. 

"Heather." Oakley reminded. Astrid answered the door, letting Heather in. 

"Everybody ready?" She asked.

"I just have to go to the bathroom. I'll meet you in the car." Astrid said.

"Oakley can't go anywhere like that." Heather gestured. Oakley bit her lip and spun towards the mirror to find a small red mark forming on her neck. 

"Seriously Astrid?" Heather rolled her eyes.  Astrid just walked away.

***

Heather and Oakley sat in Heather's car as they waited for Astrid. For a couple of minutes, they just sat in silence. But, Oakley had something on her mind, and if she didn't say something now, she may never have the nerve.

"Heather..." 

"Yeah?"

Oakley took a deep breath.

"What does love feel like?" She asked.

"Why do you ask?" Heather smirked curiously, suddenly finding herself rather invested in the conversation.

"N-no reason. I'm just curious." Oakley fought against the truth trying to force its way out, turning to find some kind of distraction outside the car window.

"I guess it's different for everyone," Heather explained. "For me, it's, sharing each other's pain, and happiness. Like you would give up the world just for them, like the world would fall apart if they weren't in it. It's like a warmth in your chest like-"

"Like... your heart is glowing." Oakley finished.

"Sound familiar?"

"Maybe a little." Oakley sighed.

"Does Astrid know?" Heather wondered. Oakley's head snapped up. "Oak, it's okay. I know you guys are into each other."

"Is it that obvious?" Oakley thought. Heather just nodded.

***

"Hey!" Hiccup welcomed as he opened the door to his first three guests. Two young pups raced into the house to greet Hiccup's labrador. Sorry, make that five guests.

"Happy birthday." Oakley cheered, hugging her brother. Brother. She'd never get used to that thought.

"Right back at ya." 

***