A Birthday to Remember

***

"Have you guys sorted out your costumes for the Valisblot party?" Ruffnut wondered as two young French bulldogs chased each other in a circle around her and her brother.

"The what now?" Oakley thought.

"Valisblot... it's the-"

"Viking version of Valentine's Day, I know, I'm Nordic." Oakley interrupted Fishlegs.

"Wait, what?" Hiccup thought.

"Hiccup, we come from Vikings," Astrid explained. "We're all Nordic." She chuckled.

"I mean, there's a party?" Oakley wondered.

"Yeah, in like two days. Duh, it was on the school website." Snotlout explained. "Hello, it's a new thing called the internet!"

"My mom used to say that the internet rots your brain," Oakley said.

"Well, your mom, doesn't know what she's talking about." He rolled his eyes. "I use the internet, like, every day."

"Yeah, us too!" The twins cheered.

"I rest my case." The brunette shrugged.

"Every year, one teacher is picked to choose a theme for the Valentine's Day party, to make it more interesting," Astrid explained. "This year it's Mr. Cooke's turn and the theme is a Viking Wedding. I heard their ceremonies are beautiful. This may be the best one yet."

"Why because it's your first valentines without-"

"Don't! Say it..." Astrid warned as Oakley's hands balled into fists beside her.

"Or maybe that's not the reason..." Heather wriggled her eyebrows.

"What about you Heather? Who's your date to the party?" Oakley teased, causing Fishlegs to choke on his drink.

"Don't change the subject." Heather defended.

"Don't dodge the question." Oakley glared. Heather glared back. Both girls ended up giggling.

Knock knock.

"Snotlout, did you order pizza on my dad's credit card again?!" Hiccup scowled.

"No!" Snotlout quipped. "I couldn't find it." He huffed in protest.

Hiccup stood up from the circle to open the door.

"Dad?!" He gasped. Oakley's head snapped up and her hand instinctively flew to the side to grasp Astrid's sleeve. "Uh, what a-what are you doing here?"

"Well, my weekend business trip turned into a business evening so I thought I'd come home early. It being my son's birthday and all." Stoick explained as he entered the house. "Don't worry I won't get in your way, Lad."

He was larger than Oakley had expected. What with her and hiccup being so... well, you know.

"I don't know this one." Stoick thought, gesturing to the new girl amongst them. Oh boy, if he knew.

"Oh, that's uh..." Hiccup stuttered. "She um..."

"She's Oakley." Tuffnut lent a hand. "She's new. She beat up a guy twice her size, she took down Astrid in gym class then saved her from falling out of a tree, she has a purple eye and a green eye and this really cool scar on her face. It's totally awesome." He rambled, causing Hiccup to plant his face in his hand. Oakley blushed with embarrassment, still staring blankly at the former army chief.

"Ha, she'll fit in nicely with Heather and Astrid then." He thought. "Hold on, did you just say she has a purple eye?"

"Yup. I also said she has a green eye." Tuffnut corrected. "You know, she got two eyes. Both different colors. I wish my eyes were different colors."

"Uh, dad?" Hiccup checked. Stoick furrowed his brow for a moment before shaking himself off.

"Well, it's nice to meet you, Lass."

Oakley was frozen in place. Astrid felt her arm suddenly turning cold and grasped Oakley's hand and she calmed instantly.

"Uh, Oak. A word." Hiccup gestured towards the kitchen. She looked at him confused. "You were gonna show me how you solved that math problem, remember?" He glared at her, hoping to get the point across. She just nodded, unable to say much else. He offered her a hand up as he passed her, leading her into the kitchen.

"Don't tell me my boy's finally found a gi-"

"Sir! I beg you not to finish that sentence." Astrid pleaded.

***

"Oak, I am so sorry. He was supposed to be gone till Monday." Hiccup apologized.

"Hiccup it's okay. It was bound to happen eventually. I just wasn't expecting it." She admitted. "A little notice would have been nice. Maybe a pep talk, but these things happen."

"I guess he didn't recognize you by name." Hiccup thought.

"No reason he should." Oakley thought. "I never knew my name so I made it up."

"Wow... did not know that." Hiccup mentioned.

"Hiccup..."

"So, what do you wanna do?" He asked.

"Hiccup..."

"I mean, do we tell him?"

"Hiccup!"

"I mean, I don't even know how we would tell him?"

"Tell me what, son?" Hiccup's eyes opened wide in realization.

"Dad?! H-How long have you been standing there?" He stuttered.

"Long enough, Lad. So what did you want to tell me?"

"Well, I... It's just that-"

Oakley rolled her eyes, realizing she was gonna have to jump in and save her brother from the embarrassment. She rolled up her sleeve to reveal her bracelet, Hiccup did the same. Stoick stood almost in shock for a moment.

"Where did you get that bracelet?" He asked her.

"Her mom made it for her..." Hiccup explained. "Fourteen years ago." Stoick turned to the girl for a moment, taking in every tiny detail. She hesitantly brushed her bangs away from her face, revealing not only her purple eye but her distinctive scar too. Stoick gasped.

"That's... not possible." He whispered to himself. "How is this possible?"

Tears formed in Oakley's eyes, like an army ready to barge their way through at any moment.

"After all these years..." He thought. "She always said you would find your way back to each other but I didn't believe her and now-" The chief almost choke on his words. "Oh, my little girl." He opened his arms and she let out a breath she hadn't realized she was holding, racing willingly into her father's embrace, for the very first time, finally letting the tears flow. He lifted her off the ground and squeezed her tightly. She hissed, causing him to loosen his grip immediately.

"Oh, yeah. Be careful. She's a little bruised." Hiccup warned.

Stoick placed his daughter back down but for a few moments, she refused to let him go, sobbing into his shirt.

Stoick knelt down, bringing him to her level as he was profoundly taller than her. He tucked her hair behind her ear and cupped her cheek with his oversized hand, wiping her tears with his thumb.

"You're as beautiful as the day I lost you." He whispered. She smiled and leaned into his touch. She threw her arms around him once again, reaching her arm out to invite Hiccup to join her.

***