1.18

LOS ANGELES
birthday breakfast & breakdowns

The O'Brien house was filled with the sound of quiet music and laughter, both things coming from the kitchen. It was early in the morning, way earlier than Lavvie would've usually gotten up. Except today, she and Rory had decided to make Dylan breakfast in bed, waking him on his thirty-first birthday with plenty of kisses and pancakes.

"Mommy, I wanna put chip." Rory did quick grabbing hands towards her mother who was opening a bag of chocolate chips.

"Only a few." Lavvie said, letting the child pour the chocolate into the batter. After mixing the chips in, she started to make the pancakes, letting Rory watch one of her shows as she made them—bacon stuck in the oven.

"Is my wife cooking? Or am I having a stroke because something is burning." Lavvie heard, arms wrapping around her waist as she flipped the pancakes. Lavvie frowned, hoping he would've slept for just a few more minutes.

"I wanted to do something nice." Lavvie told him, turning off the stove as she put the last pancake on a plate. She turned around, Dylan's hands staying at her waist and he moved her away from the hot stove, pressing a kiss to her lips.

"They smell good, is that bacon?" He asked, Lavvie's eyes going wide and several swears left her mouth and she opened the oven, taking the extra crispy bacon out.

"Why am I such a fucking awful cook, I can't even cook a damn breakfast for my husband on his birthday, I'm so-" Dylan's arms wrapped around her,  his chin resting on her head and she began to sob. He was surprised at her sudden outburst of emotion, his hand circling her back.

His attention went to the other various food items she had set out, one getting his hopes up.

"You we're eating pickles for breakfast?" He asked, pulling out of the hug as she wiped her tears. He struggled not to smile, hoping that his assumptions were true.

"I got hungry." She answered obliviously, her tears stopping as she was trying not be frustrated any longer.

"Lavvie, are you not seeing what I'm seeing?" Dylan asked her, trying to hint at what he'd thought.

"Words, Dylan." Lavvie said, using the same tone she would with Rory.

"Pickles? Crying over not being able to cook? Babe, are you-"

"Oh, shit." Then she realized what he meant, her heart racing and she ran to the bathroom. Dylan followed her, confused on what she was doing until she took a pregnancy test from beneath the sink.

He stood by the door, wide and excited eyes as she began to take the test. Lavvie, however, wasn't nearly as enthusiastic as he was. Of course she wanted another baby, but she wanted to wait. Yet, she had a slight sliver of hope that she was, knowing she would love the child as much as Rory.

"What does it say?" Dylan asked the second she set it on the sink.

"Gotta wait." She answered, washing her hands before leaving the bathroom. She went back to the kitchen, trying not to show Dylan how she really felt—realizing how excited he was.

"Rory, get in your chair." Lavvie said, cutting the pancakes into small pieces for the child. She tried to distract herself from the results of the test waiting in the bathroom. She poured a bit of syrup onto the tiny pieces of pancakes, setting the plate in front of the toddler and strapping her into the chair.