The Bitter Truth

Pov: (y/n)

I was in my room, all the windows and doors were closed, I was sitting on my bed hugging my knees with my head down, fighting the absurd urge to let the tears fall.

I was mad at him, mad at what he said and what he did, but I was even madder at myself for feeling this way.

What a ridiculous scene, stuck in my room crying over an idiot like him. I never considered him anything, I never expected him to be kind to me, and yet it took a day of thinking otherwise to destroy me.

It was so frustrating to know that Angelica was right, that I let my feelings elude me to the point where I thought he would be anything but a full-fledged asshole.

I actually made up this whole story in my head, where he would send me a poem and... What was I thinking? That he was going to show up on a white horse and tell me he loved me? I'm so pathetic.

I was so mad, mad at him, mad at myself, mad at the world. I didn't even hear my father when he came through the door of my room, I only noticed his presence when he said:

"Mi hija?!" he was scared to see me crying "What happened?"

My father, the man who raised me, the person I trust and love the most in the world, my safe place, my home, right there in front of me watching me cry so stupidly, and I can't even tell him what happened because I know he's going to get mad and fight me. He warned me to stay away from the Madrigals.

"Nothing, papa" I replied wiping my tears away.

"Mi pequeña...." He said approaching me and sitting next to me on my bed "You can trust me, I love you more than anything in this world"

Oh how much I wish that to be true, how much I wanted to tell him everything and hug him, how much I wanted him to put his anger aside and just take care of me like when I was a kid, but I knew what wouldn't happen, I knew exactly what he was going to say and how he was going to scream.

All because of an irrational rage at the Madrigals, a rage he never even explained to me why he had it. He literally narrows our entire life around it and doesn't even have the guts to tell me the truth, he's as big a coward as I am.

Full of hate, I no longer had the ability to hold back, so without thinking about the consequences I asked:

"Why do you hate them?" I remain without making eye contact.

"What?" he asked stunned.

"The Madrigals, why do you hate them?" I insisted without fear, knowing that no matter how bad the possible argument, it would never be worse than telling him about my troubled relationship with the shapeshifter "What did they ever do to you?"

He startled, and backed away a little, he was definitely surprised and confused, wondering why I even brought it up.

"Why are you asking me that?" He replied without answering me.

"You center our whole lives around them" I said recklessly "I think I deserve to know why"

"Watch your mouth, (y/n)" he said concerned "I know you're upset about something but there's no reason to take it out on me"

"But it's the truth" I replied quickly, so spitefully that I didn't even think about what to say before saying "I can't talk to them, I can't accept favors, even If I need one, I can't even go to the ceremony with my friends that have nothing to do with them"

"So this is what this is all about" He said frustrated, raising his voice "This is why you're being so dramatic"

That broke me, the way he mocks my suffering, my desires, doesn't he see that I'm sad? that I'm tired? Of course not, he only sees what he wants, and he will never take responsibility for his own actions, ever.