Chapter 4

Training, again.

Levy was once more training with Gajeel, as such she was knelt on the wet grass, breathing hard.

"Gajeel," she panted, "we've been working really hard today, can you go a little easier?"

"Do you think they'd go easy in real fight?" Gajeel responded harshly to her pleas, "come on, I want you to at least try."

He held his hand out to her, hoisting her off the ground when she took it.

"I'll close my eyes and give you a head start," he cupped both his hands over his eyes, "go, run off."

She brushed her dress off and immediately ran into the forest surrounding their training area.

"I'll give you ten seconds!" He shouted after her, "one, two...."

He counted like a small child when playing hide and seek.

Levy ran further into the forest and jumped behind a tall bush, crouching down and breathing hard.

"...Nine, ten!" He yelled, "ready or not here I come!"

He poked his nose into the air and kept silent for a moment, taking in a deep breath through his nostrils.

He chuckled, "So you ran into the trees, huh?"

She heard him walk into the brush, but he was yet several yards away.

"Fee, fi, fo, fum. I smell the blood of sweet little fairy!" He barked, teasingly.

Levy fought to suppress her giggles. She held her breath as she heard him get closer, but released when she thought she heard him shuffle away.

"Woosh," she sighed, quietly.

"Yeah, that was a close one," a low voice spoke behind her.

She jumped and gasped loudly, earning a large hand cupping over her mouth.

"You need to learn a thing or two about keeping quiet," Gajeel smirked, "even without my dragon hearing I would have heard you."

Levy mumbled something into his hand and attempted to pull it away, making him release out of pity.

"You know, it wasn't just your noise, I picked up your scent," he remarked, lifting up her hand beneath his nose, "I can smell the pages of all those books you read," he dropped her hand and sniffed her wavy blue hair, "and the strawberry scent of your hair."

"Is it really that strong?" Levy inquired.

"Oh yes, well for me, because I'm so used to the scent and because it's so familiar," Gajeel answered, "though hiding behind a bush made it harder for me to find you."

"So hiding behind a bush is a good tactic?"

"Ha ha," Gajeel laughed, "I'm not giving you a head start next time shortie."

"It would be the chivalrous thing to do," Levy chimed as Gajeel helped her off the ground.

"Yeah, okay," he chuckled, "lets just go back to the guild, unless I have to carry you back."

"Well," Levy said, "my legs are feeling pretty wobbly." she spilled onto him teasingly.

"Really?" He raised an eyebrow.

"Don't get so eager, I'm just kidding," she laughed.

........................

"They should be here any minute," murmured Mirajane as she looked down at her book, "all I have to do is say this spell," she clapped her hands together, "this is so exciting!"

Laxus turned his head to her.

"Shoot, I didn't know I said that out loud!" Mira cursed.

Laxus stepped up to the bar counter, "What are you up to?"

"Oh," Mira giggled sweetly, "nothing."

"Mira," Laxus looked straight into her eyes, "I know you're up to something, what is it?"

"I told you," Mira replied, "nothing."

"Then what's that you're trying to hide behind your back?" He raised an eyebrow.

"Uh, what do you mean?" Mira giggled, again.

Before Mira could react, Laxus snatched the book out of her hand, and started skimming through the pages.

"Laxus!" she squealed, reaching for the book which he held up to his eyes.

His hand snapped and gripped her wrist to keep her from reaching after it.

"It's just a book of spells," he stated, averting his gaze down to Mirajane.

"Exactly," Mira said, struggling to get free from her captor, "so it's not important."

"Why do you need this?" He raised an eyebrow at her.

"It's just something I found in the library that I was looking through," Mira smiled at him innocently.

"You better not be up to something," Laxus warned, hesitantly handing her the book.

"Thank you," she hissed, snatching the book back, "and you know there is no way that I would be up to something."

"Really Mira?" Laxus raised an eyebrow.

"Don't be so silly, I'm not gonna do anything," she got up on her toes and kissed his cheek, "don't worry."

Laxus blushed a little but Mirajane didn't see it because she'd already swept away into the back room.

"I'm definitely worried." he shook his head, his face retaining their brilliant shade of scarlet.